Importing Contacts from Windows Messenger RRS feed

• Question

•  

We are in the process of deploying OCS and Communicator 2007 to roughly 1500 users and are trying to get a definative answer if it is possible for end-users to import their contacts from Windows Messenger to OCS & Communicator. Their current contacts are all Exchange 2000 Instant Messaging contacts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:00 PM

Answers

•  

Exchange IM contacts are kept client side, so no server side manipulation can occur until you do some sort of migration.

In LCS 2003 - 2005 reskits, there are scripts there that when a user logs into the PC, it takes the client contacts and uploads to a designated network folder in user@domain.txt format.  The second step is to run a script agains the folder which will take all of those *.txt files and inject them into the LCS DB.  It would then update AD a short time afterwards and users would then sign in with the new client to LCS2005 and their contacts would be there.

That is how it worked for previous versions, and OCS2007 does not support this, so you have a choice.. put LCS2005 in virtual temporarily to get users homes on LCS.. then export those users using DBIMPEXP and IMPORT into OCS.. or enable MTLS between LCS and OCS.. then rt click, move users over to the OCS server.  Their contacts will follow.

The other option is after exporting Exchange IM contacts into a network folder, write your own WMI script to import directly into OCS.

A random thought... one could try just to write a script that takes the *.txt files and generate a file in the same format that DBIMPEXP would use, then run it direct against OCS.

-Jay

Monday, September 22, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Thanks. I was able the use the script from the LCS 2005 reskit as a base to create a script to export the user list from Exchange Instant Messaging into a format that a script out of the OCS 2007 reskit could then use to import into OCS.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:47 PM

All replies

• I believe you can accomplish this with the freeware OCSCM tool: http://www.ocscm.com.  It's been discussed a few times on the board but I haven't actually used the app myself.

Monday, September 22, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Thanks, I'll check it out.

Monday, September 22, 2008 5:20 PM
  •  

Exchange IM contacts are kept client side, so no server side manipulation can occur until you do some sort of migration.

In LCS 2003 - 2005 reskits, there are scripts there that when a user logs into the PC, it takes the client contacts and uploads to a designated network folder in user@domain.txt format.  The second step is to run a script agains the folder which will take all of those *.txt files and inject them into the LCS DB.  It would then update AD a short time afterwards and users would then sign in with the new client to LCS2005 and their contacts would be there.

That is how it worked for previous versions, and OCS2007 does not support this, so you have a choice.. put LCS2005 in virtual temporarily to get users homes on LCS.. then export those users using DBIMPEXP and IMPORT into OCS.. or enable MTLS between LCS and OCS.. then rt click, move users over to the OCS server.  Their contacts will follow.

The other option is after exporting Exchange IM contacts into a network folder, write your own WMI script to import directly into OCS.

A random thought... one could try just to write a script that takes the *.txt files and generate a file in the same format that DBIMPEXP would use, then run it direct against OCS.

-Jay

Monday, September 22, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Jay brings up a good point, I assumed you planned to import these contacts in a certain 'way'.  Are you looking to create directory-wide contacts in AD for all users to share, or looking to migrate subsets of these into user's specific Exchange mailboxes for use in Outlook.  The OCS contact list is really built from objects in different stores.

Monday, September 22, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Thanks. I was able the use the script from the LCS 2005 reskit as a base to create a script to export the user list from Exchange Instant Messaging into a format that a script out of the OCS 2007 reskit could then use to import into OCS.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:47 PM