where are stored backed up files ? RRS feed

• Question

•  
    Hi,

I guess that there is somewhere on WHS machine a compressed file that contains all backuped up data from a computer on my network.

My question is where ?

and how do i change the drive where this file is stored ? I don't want to fill my C drive when I have a D drive that is set especifically to store data.

Thank you for your answers.

Sebmex
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    Windows Home Server stores the files in  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on one or more of the DATA volumes (you see the files or tombstones on the D: drive), depending, how many hard drives your home server has and how many space is needed for the backups. The C: drive is on WHS is not touched, this is reserved to the operating system.
    WHS controls itself how to store the data on the drives, as described in this whitepaper.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Windows Home Server stores the files in  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on one or more of the DATA volumes (you see the files or tombstones on the D: drive), depending, how many hard drives your home server has and how many space is needed for the backups. The C: drive is on WHS is not touched, this is reserved to the operating system.
    WHS controls itself how to store the data on the drives, as described in this whitepaper.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Olaf
      Tombstones are only for shared folders right ? or also for cluster images ? 
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Tombstones are for everything that participates in Drive Extender management. That includes files in your shares and application folders, which are folders created through the Windows Home Server API and used by various add-ins and other applications. The backup folder is an example of an application folder.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:13 PM