Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(1205) RRS feed

• Question

• When backing up my client machines, I get the following error on machines with sizeable data:

Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(1205) in the Home Server event log.

The machines have more than 10% free space and enough to create a restore point.  This is the WHS requirement for creating a backup of a client.

Proposed solutions I have seen by others are:

1.  Set IRPStackSize.
    2.  Stop and disable the Windows Home Server Port Forwarding Service.

Neither solution fixes my problem.

The computer randomly throws this error and the backup does not complete.  Status is Failed.

My configuration:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard w/ onboard Silicon Image 3112 RAID Controller (hosting no drives)
    2 GB PC3200 DDR400 Memory
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB AGP Video
    Promise TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card hosting 2x1TB SATA II WD Green Hard Drives
    Intel PRO 10/100/1000 GT PCI LAN Card
    HP DVD650i CD/DVD Drive

Please help if you know have a good idea on what the problem is and a solution.  I would really appreciate it.  I haven't seen much documented on this issue.

Thanks,
    Brad

• Edited by Brad Wallace Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:09 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:03 AM

Answers

• l00ker said:

Home Server log Event ID is 267.

Application log Event ID is 1000.

I've found a record for this in the database but it's not on the 17th. Either we don't have your Watson report yet or it wasn't submitted for some reason. Maybe a server configuration?

Do you have the most up to date drivers for the Intel NIC? Also, do you have another NIC you can swap out for the Intel just to try?

In addition, please double check the drivers for the Promise controller.  The watson record I am looking at certainly looks like it might be driver related.  If this doesn't solve the problem, please file a bug on Connect and submit CABs so we can review what is happening on the server. This might be a known issue or it might be unique to your server. We'll have to review your logs to be sure.

Thanks.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad,
    and what errors or warnings besides this appear in the client and server event log?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:06 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Another error generated at the same time in the Application event log:

Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, fault address 0x0003be43.

No other errors/warnings appear related.

Thanks,
    Brad

Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:40 AM
  • l00ker said:

Hi Olaf,

Another error generated at the same time in the Application event log:

Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, fault address 0x0003be43.

No other errors/warnings appear related.

Thanks,
    Brad

Hi Brad, what is the date for this in the event log and are there any other numbers?

Thanks
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Lara,

These errors occurred at the same time around 10:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2008.  This occurred during a backup of a client machine.  I will post number error numbers when I get home later.

Thanks,
    Brad
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Home Server log Event ID is 267.

Friday, December 19, 2008 3:37 AM
  • l00ker said:

Home Server log Event ID is 267.

I've found a record for this in the database but it's not on the 17th. Either we don't have your Watson report yet or it wasn't submitted for some reason. Maybe a server configuration?

Do you have the most up to date drivers for the Intel NIC? Also, do you have another NIC you can swap out for the Intel just to try?

In addition, please double check the drivers for the Promise controller.  The watson record I am looking at certainly looks like it might be driver related.  If this doesn't solve the problem, please file a bug on Connect and submit CABs so we can review what is happening on the server. This might be a known issue or it might be unique to your server. We'll have to review your logs to be sure.

Thanks.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Hi Lara,

This same error occurred again just now during an attempted backup.  I have automatic error reporting turned on, so I'm not sure why you didn't get the error.  Although, I find it odd that even though I have this option enabled, Server 2003 still asks me sometimes if I want the error sent or not.  Maybe this is why you didn't receive?  Tonight's error occurred 12/20/2008 @ 2:29:37 AM.  I am including a copy of the Watson "Information" event text in case you did not receive.  Event ID is 4097.

The application, C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\whsbackup.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 12/20/2008 @ 02:30:12.671 The exception generated was 80000003 at address 7C81A3E1 (ntdll!DbgBreakPoint)

I do have the most up to date Intel NIC drivers from the Intel website installed.  I have 2 other NIC Controllers (currently disabled through the BIOS).  An NVIDIA nForce NIC and a 3COM NIC, both onboard controllers.  If I need to test with one of these controllers instead, I can certainly do that.

The promise controller, like the NIC controller, has the latest drivers installed.

I find it highly unlikely my issue is a driver-related one (at least with the NIC or Promise Controller) as these devices I'm sure are used by many others and we would have seen similar complaints in this forum.

Another reason I do not believe it is a device driver related issue, is because I did successfully backup a couple of times before the backup failed.  Now, it always fails.  In light of this, I believe I may have a database corruption.  I would like to try to test resetting the database to test this theory.  Others had success with the option that was available in the V1 toolkit.  Unfortunately, that option is not available in the V1.1 toolkit and MS has pulled the V1 toolkit from its download site.  I tried the Repair option in Settings but that didn't fix the problem.  Is there a way to reset the database as if the OS were just installed?  I can reinstall the OS if I need to, but this is like the 20th time I've had to do that trying to get WHS to work and it's getting a bit old.

If I don't receive or figure out a solution, I'll submit the bug.  Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Brad

Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:55 AM
  • In addition to the errors mentioned above, I also get Application log Event ID 1001 errors:

Fault bucket 1029761750.

The integer values after "Fault bucket" change but this error shows up periodically.  Haven't been able to see a pattern as to when it shows up.  This particular error occurred about 11:30 AM on 12/20/2008.

Brad

Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:05 PM
  • l00ker said:

Hi Lara,

This same error occurred again just now during an attempted backup.  I have automatic error reporting turned on, so I'm not sure why you didn't get the error.  Although, I find it odd that even though I have this option enabled, Server 2003 still asks me sometimes if I want the error sent or not.  Maybe this is why you didn't receive?  Tonight's error occurred 12/20/2008 @ 2:29:37 AM.  I am including a copy of the Watson "Information" event text in case you did not receive.  Event ID is 4097.

The application, C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\whsbackup.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 12/20/2008 @ 02:30:12.671 The exception generated was 80000003 at address 7C81A3E1 (ntdll!DbgBreakPoint)

I do have the most up to date Intel NIC drivers from the Intel website installed.  I have 2 other NIC Controllers (currently disabled through the BIOS).  An NVIDIA nForce NIC and a 3COM NIC, both onboard controllers.  If I need to test with one of these controllers instead, I can certainly do that.

The promise controller, like the NIC controller, has the latest drivers installed.

I find it highly unlikely my issue is a driver-related one (at least with the NIC or Promise Controller) as these devices I'm sure are used by many others and we would have seen similar complaints in this forum.

Another reason I do not believe it is a device driver related issue, is because I did successfully backup a couple of times before the backup failed.  Now, it always fails.  In light of this, I believe I may have a database corruption.  I would like to try to test resetting the database to test this theory.  Others had success with the option that was available in the V1 toolkit.  Unfortunately, that option is not available in the V1.1 toolkit and MS has pulled the V1 toolkit from its download site.  I tried the Repair option in Settings but that didn't fix the problem.  Is there a way to reset the database as if the OS were just installed?  I can reinstall the OS if I need to, but this is like the 20th time I've had to do that trying to get WHS to work and it's getting a bit old.

If I don't receive or figure out a solution, I'll submit the bug.  Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Brad

Hi Brad,

I found the Watson record for your crash and it would be best if you submitted the bug and referenced the watson bucket ID in the report along with repro steps.  The developers are working very hard on backup bugs and having all of this information would be helpful to them.

Thanks
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Was there a solution to this problem?
    My HP Mediaserver has started to give this error and backups are failing...

Thanks
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:13 AM
  • I'm also backup's on larger drives failing with

Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(1205) in the Home Server event log.

Used Toolkit to send logs CAB 708309502
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:11 PM
  • Just sending logs is insufficient. You alss need to file a bug report on Connect .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:09 PM