My two Windows XP computers are using Windows Live One care. Can not See Add/Remove Programs list. RRS feed

• Question

• My two Windows XP computers are using Windows Live One care. Can not See Add/Remove Programs listed.
    After restarting Add/Remove programs I am unable to open it again unless computer is restarted.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you see this issue on both computers and if so did it start on both at the same time? If you type "appwiz.cpl" without the quotes in the Start Menu Run box does add/remove programs open? If this issue exists on both computers I might suspect undetected malware so contacting support would be appropriate. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Jim,

Thank you for the good hidden pointer to the OneCare help.
    I can not tell for certain, but think that this is the case, yes, both computer experiencing this issue.
    This is the second time I am trying access the help.
    Original issue, also on both computers was inability to Shut Down/Restart/Hibernate the computers.
    I received some help hints on this issue

At this time, let us focus on computer cannot be shut down.

Let us try the following steps to temporarily disable Windows Live OneCare to narrow down the issue.

1. Click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK.

2. At the command prompt, type the following commands one at a time, and then press ENTER after each command.

Note: You may receive a message that states that the computer might be at risk when you run these commands and to disable the Windows Live OneCare firewall and antivirus programs.

sc config msfwhlpr start= disabled

sc config msfwdrv start= disabled

sc config msfwsvc start= disabled

sc config mpfilter start= disabled

sc config onecaremp start= disabled

sc config OcHealthMon start = disabled

sc config winss start= disabled

3. Restart the computer.

Please check whether computer can be shut down normally. If so, please let me know

But, this problem reappeares and following the same steps does not help anymore.
    Thank you again, I am submitting e-mail for the latest issue.

Sam.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Hello Sam, as a paid subscriber you are eligible for free telephone support. If you follow the support flow in the reaching support FAQs you should eventually reach a phone support number.
    Jim
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:13 AM
  • Jim,

Thank you.

Sam.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:02 PM