Disk restoration RRS feed

• Question

• I am concerned about using Onecare's back up.  It reports that only the files that have changed are being kept in the back up.  I filled up the external disk some time ago and had to erase it to make room for continuing back ups.  If only the files that have changed are being kept, where is the rest of the files?  What if I have to restore the entire disk should it fail?  Have I selected something wrong on my back up settings?  I have a 150GB external drive to back up a 60GB disk.  That should have been sufficient.  What is happening?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Parley, when One Care performs the first backup it backs up all of the selected file types. Subsequent backups contain only new or changed files. If you perform a complete restore One Care will use the first backup to restore your original files and the subsequent backups to restore files added after the first backup and files which have changed since the first backup.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hello Parley, when One Care performs the first backup it backs up all of the selected file types. Subsequent backups contain only new or changed files. If you perform a complete restore One Care will use the first backup to restore your original files and the subsequent backups to restore files added after the first backup and files which have changed since the first backup.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I just want to add that OneCare backup only backs up data files by type. If your hard disk fails, you would first need to reinstall the operating system, then OneCare, then restore your data and install any programs that you use regularly and had installed previously. The system and programs are not backed up by OneCare.

Also, when you erased the external disk, you then started a new backup. Subsequent backups add files and modify the "catalog" that describes the state of the files backed up at the time of backup.

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:30 PM
  • In the thirty years I have been using Windows, I have never had to recall a "backed up file".  I have wanted to restore a disk, but was unable.  I really don't need a "backup"  what I need is a disk copy.  If Onecare does not provide it, who should I turn to?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:28 PM
  • If you are looking to image your hard drive this might be the best solution - http://www.acronis.com/

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:51 PM