Ad-Aware 2008 RRS feed

Answers

• "malware" is a fairly wide-ranging term. I have avast! installed on my server; there are no anti-spyware tools that I know of that are available for Windows Home Server, but most AV products include some level of detection of those sorts of "unfriendlies".

The problem with using any of these tools, if the tool isn't designed for use on Windows Home Server, is that normal WHS activity may look like an attack.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 19, 2008 12:42 PM

All replies

• My opinion is that you should have a Windows Home Server aware anti-malware product on your server, just as you should have protective software on every computer you own. That said, AdAware is anti-spyware software; it's intended to protect you while you surf the web, and keep you from installing spyware that's emailed to you. Are you surfing the web with your server or reading email with it?
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:10 AM
  • What anti-malware do you reccommend?  Defender?  I do not surf the web or read email on WHS.  I only remote access to it from the office on occasion.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 4:26 AM
  • JSHollis said:

What anti-malware do you reccommend?  Defender?  I do not surf the web or read email on WHS.  I only remote access to it from the office on occasion.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no anti-malware apps designed for WHS.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:15 AM
  • "malware" is a fairly wide-ranging term. I have avast! installed on my server; there are no anti-spyware tools that I know of that are available for Windows Home Server, but most AV products include some level of detection of those sorts of "unfriendlies".

The problem with using any of these tools, if the tool isn't designed for use on Windows Home Server, is that normal WHS activity may look like an attack.

Friday, December 19, 2008 12:42 PM