How to assign to a user "Status Manager" role RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've got a problem with assigning users to the "status manager" role. I created all the projects files by myself and also the tasks. I could be still the owner of the projects but I need also to assign "status manager" role to some users so they can approve the tasks changes. The problem is that it's only me who appears in the dropdown list.

What are the permissions I should give to the project managers group so I can assign its members to "Status Manager role"? 

I tried to change the owner of the project on the server but it doesn't work

I created the project team so the people would appear in the dropdown list in status manager column in project professional - doesn't work

I tried to add some permissions to users - doesn't work

Nothing works.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

since I was quoted, I want to add some clarification. I caused a misunderstanding offline. Sorry Ben!

If you add a user of default Project Manager group to your project team, save and publish this plan, this user will be allowed to open this plan. After adding himself to at least one task as Status Manager, he will be allowed to save and publish this project. So if there are not to many changes on default permissions, this does work without any changes on permissions.

The special thing with Status Manager field is, that you can't "make" someone to be responsible for a task. He has to assign himself for at least one task to be Status Manager. After doing so and publish, both of you can select both of your names as Status Manager for all tasks. So the first step has to be done by the new Status Manager to get his name in drop down list.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:01 PM

All replies

• Barbara Henhapl gave me the answer here after an incorrect post, so all kudos should go to her,

If they are team member, they can assign themselves as status manager and with save permission to publish.

So you need to give them the Save Project to Project Server and Publish Project permissions.  I've not had time to fully check and verify this (my resource was a member of the PM group and so had some other rights too.  Checking the projectseverexperts site also details this for 2010 at http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/changeprojmgr.aspx 

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

since I was quoted, I want to add some clarification. I caused a misunderstanding offline. Sorry Ben!

If you add a user of default Project Manager group to your project team, save and publish this plan, this user will be allowed to open this plan. After adding himself to at least one task as Status Manager, he will be allowed to save and publish this project. So if there are not to many changes on default permissions, this does work without any changes on permissions.

The special thing with Status Manager field is, that you can't "make" someone to be responsible for a task. He has to assign himself for at least one task to be Status Manager. After doing so and publish, both of you can select both of your names as Status Manager for all tasks. So the first step has to be done by the new Status Manager to get his name in drop down list.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Hello,

I am having this same problem as the person who started this tread.  I have followed all the above suggested steps and I still only see myself in the Status Manager list.  I added the new person with Project Manager status to the team for the test project and Published it as myself.  Then I logged in as the new person and tried to assign this person to one task as Status Manager by inserting a Status Manager Column but all I see is the original me on the list, no one else.  I don't see the new person I logged in as.  I even tried assigning this new person like you would a resource to the task and published that but I still did not see this person on the Status Manager drop down list.

What else can I try?

Forrest

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Forrest --

How did you log on as the other project manager?  If you tried to use the Delegation feature, this feature does not affect Microsoft Project 2010; it only affects PWA.  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:56 PM
  • No Sir,

I used the feature in the upper right hand corner of PWA under my name that says "Sign in as a Different User".  Then in the project center I opened the project to edit in Project Professional.

Forrest

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Forrest --

When you did this, did you remember to select the Remember My Credentials option in the Windows Security dialog?  You have to select the Remember My Credentials option for the user settings to affect the login in Microsoft Project 2010.  Log in as the other user and select the Remember My Credentials option.  Then launch Microsoft Project 2010 and connect to Project Server.  And then open the desired project within Microsoft Project.  Let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Mr. Dale

You're a Prince

I have been using your Implementing and Administering Microsoft Project Server 2010 reference manual, which is excellent by the way, but I'll need to pencil this little bit of knowledge into my notes.

Thanks so much!

Forrest

• Proposed as answer by Forrest Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Forrest --

Thank you for the honorary title!  Thanks also for the kind comment about our book.  And you are more than welcome for the help, my friend.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

• Proposed as answer by Forrest Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:25 PM
  • No doubt.

I was experience same problem and then found this thread and ultimately found the answer to my issue

Great job

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Regards
    Barbara

Hello, 

I tried to change any given resource to status manager, the resource  has the role as a Team Member and has actuals. 

But the resource name doesn't appear in the Status Manager's List,

Then, I tried to change the permission of the resource to Project Manager and to Administrator too and taking care of publishing after each change that I made. Also tried with changing the Owner to him and nothing happened.

Thus, bear in mind If you have a regular resource at the begging of the project, this resource can't became a Status Manager

Regards 

Gustavo

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Hi, 

Finally I got it.

The recipe is:

Change the owner of the mpp to the proposed Status Manager

Log in as the proposed Status Manager (In the column SM, the name appears in the task #1) 

Make the desired change 

Save ... 

That's all

Regards 

Gustavo Szlukier

Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:49 PM