Windows Homeserver.com domain, how do i assign new IP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i created a homeserver.com domain for my home server about 4-5 years ago. i have just wiped out my harddrive etc due viruses. 

When i have installed the new version of Windows server 2016 i am unable to assign my ip address to my original domain name... how do i do this?

thanks,

Monday, March 26, 2018 12:23 PM

All replies

• The "xyz.homeserver.com" domain names are only available under Windows Home Server 2011. The "Essentials" line of servers all use a "xyz.remotewebaccess.com" domain name instead. Therefore, you'll need to run the Anywhere Access set up wizard (from your Essentials server's Dashboard) and set up a new "xyz.remotewebaccess.com" domain name instead.

The "xyz" domain prefix (subdomain) can be the same as your old one was as long as it's not already taken. The Anywhere Access / Remote Web Access set up wizard will walk you through all of that. Just be sure to choose the "I want to set up a new domain name" option in the set up wizard in order to create a new Microsoft personalized domain name for your Essentials server (where you'll be prompted to sign in to your Microsoft account).

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 1:42 PM