Problems with One Care blocking Internet Access with FIOS RRS feed

• Question

• I switched from Verizon DSL to FIOS on April 24th.  Since that time I've been loosing connectivity on our three computers - two with wireless adapters, and one directly connected to the router (ActionTec MI424WR). I've had no problems with two different notebooks that are NOT running Live One - turn off the Live One Firewall did not seem to have any immediate impact, but eventually I can reconnect.  When I cannot connect, the system cannot obtain a valid IP address, and I get a "limited connectivity" error message from the wireless or ethernet adapter.  The Verizon tech came to the house and was unable to solve.  What can I check to make sure that Live One is configured properly to work with the FIOS connection.  Is there a known compatibility problem with Live One, FIOS, and/or the ActionTec router?
    • Edited by akorna Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:38 AM
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:38 AM

Answers

• OneCare should have no effect on your connectivity, but it sure seems like it is since the PCs not using OneCare are not having an issue and they are connecting to the same router. My first thought was that OneCare was checking the WiFi security and poking the router, causing it to reset, but that isn't what you are describing.
    However, if you are having problems with the PCs after turning off the OneCare firewall on those PCs, I am more prone to suspect an issue with the router that those PCs are more sensitive to - perhaps the network adapters for the wireless ones, but that doesn't explain the wired one.
    At this point I believe that your best bet is to contact OneCare support. They may be aware of issues with that router and OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:43 AM

All replies

• OneCare should have no effect on your connectivity, but it sure seems like it is since the PCs not using OneCare are not having an issue and they are connecting to the same router. My first thought was that OneCare was checking the WiFi security and poking the router, causing it to reset, but that isn't what you are describing.
    However, if you are having problems with the PCs after turning off the OneCare firewall on those PCs, I am more prone to suspect an issue with the router that those PCs are more sensitive to - perhaps the network adapters for the wireless ones, but that doesn't explain the wired one.
    At this point I believe that your best bet is to contact OneCare support. They may be aware of issues with that router and OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Steve,
    For some unkown reason, all three computers connected this past Friday.  All were operational yesterday, will check again this evening.  I was trying various connection options, but nothing I hadn't tried before.  I did note that one of the wireless units, that LiveOne had reset to a "Public Place" vs "Home or Work" connection, and I changed it back again, but I did not get immediate connectivity.  On the ethernet desktop, it just all of a sudden connected - no action on my part.

I'll contact support for known issues with the router.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:05 PM
  • It sounds like your wireless connection may be flaky. If the network is identified as Public, that means that the profile of the network is unidentified by OneCare. This can also happen if you have two active network adapters. However, that should not prevent outbound connectivity - just local network sharing, for example.
    When I say "flaky" I mean that the router may be resetting itself or dropping the connection, hence the Public identification upon reconnect.
    Good luck.
    -steve
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Steve,
    Yesterday when I got home from work, internet access was down again on the computer with the wired connection and the wireless in my son's room.   LiveOne Care had gone back to "Public" - I changed to "Home and Work," but could not restore the connection.  After multiple reboot and fix connection attempts - including diabling the LiveOne firewall, I decided to uninstall Windows LiveOne.  After rebooting, the computer immediately connected.  My son did the same with the wireless connection and was able to restore internet access.  I downloaded a trial version of CA Anti-Virus software to provide protection.  It worked fine for the remaider of the evening.  If I don't get a similar problem with the CA Antivirus - then it looks like a router/live one incompatibility.

Have not heard back from support yet. 

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Thanks for the update. It does sound like OneCare may be poking the router, perhaps causing it to hang. How long do you have on the OneCare subscription? How long is the CA trial for? You can install Avast for free - it works pretty well and then decide to use Morro when it is available. Since it is only antimalware, it should not have an issue with your router.
    -steve

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:49 PM