Remote access to streaming audio: Best Practices w/WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS onto which I copied 20GB of MP3s from my MediaCenter PC onto the WHS "audio" folder.

When I am on vacation with my (thin client) notebook, I'd like to listen to streaming audio from home. When I log onto my remote access, when I select MP3's they are simply downloaded on to my local computer. I'd like to listen to these files directly from my home while I am away.

What's the best way to approach this? I have heard there is an add-on that will let me do this. Any details? Or, should I navigate to my MediaCenter PC that has all the MP3s on there too.

Any illumination you can give me on my options would be appreciated.

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:53 AM

Answers

• I use Jukefly for this (www.jukefly.com). It runs on the WHS (installed it as a service - but you don't have to just to test it out).  When it installs, you point it to your music share and it indexes everything and just sends the tag info to Jukefly.  You go to www.jukefly.com, log in, and use the thin client (flash) provided to manipulate your mp3 collection.  The Jukefly service just makes the connection between your remote machine and the WHS.

I've heard you can do this with the latest version of WinAmp too (winamp remote or something), but I've been using this all year and it's works great so I haven't messed with it.

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:41 PM

All replies

• Funny you should ask.

As I sit here on Waikiki Beach responding to your questions, I'm streaming music from my WHS in Illinois. I don't know how the songs get here but they do, and I don't know what I'd ever do without WHS anymore.

I think you'll find you have better quality if you let WHS send these files to you as you listen to them.

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:31 AM
  • Cool. But when I click on the mp3s from a remote location, the files are not streamed. They are downloaded. I want to avoid this.

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Seems not to be possible with the current Windows Home Server components.

Maybe a tool like that from here (not tested by myself)

http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml

could perform the job for you.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:27 PM
  • I use Jukefly for this (www.jukefly.com). It runs on the WHS (installed it as a service - but you don't have to just to test it out).  When it installs, you point it to your music share and it indexes everything and just sends the tag info to Jukefly.  You go to www.jukefly.com, log in, and use the thin client (flash) provided to manipulate your mp3 collection.  The Jukefly service just makes the connection between your remote machine and the WHS.

I've heard you can do this with the latest version of WinAmp too (winamp remote or something), but I've been using this all year and it's works great so I haven't messed with it.

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:41 PM
  •  

Great! I'll check it out...
    Monday, August 25, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Check out www.simplifymedia.com. Just read about it in Fortune magazine of October 13, 2008.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 8:43 PM
  • ORB also seems to be another way to stream your media through the net
    http://www.orb.com/

Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:50 PM
  • hi there, in this case you may want to try this, on my WHS I used (WEBGUIDE+POWERDVD+AC3 AUDIO FILTER)and if you have PS3 then you may need WTONKY MEDIA

then you can stream your VIDEO AND AUDIO directly from your WHS without having to download any file to your laptop you can listen or wacth directly,it's worked great

for me so far Im going out of town alot and never have any problem streaming or upload files from/to my server and when Iam home my PS3 work great with my server also

hope this help
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:53 AM
  • I found this today and it is just what I was looking for:
    10. WebGuide for Windows Home Server
    from the microsoft web site here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/add-ins.mspx

I can stream mp3's and wma's with out loading media player. I can't to try it on my mobile phone.
    Let me know what you all think.

Josh
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:56 AM