Why no upgrade/reinstall option for RC1? RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that MS doesn't want users to try and upgrade from CTP or Beta2 to RC1 but what about leaving the ability to 'upgrade' or reinstall if  something bad happens.  Couldn't the install process check to only give you the option if you are reinstalling on top of RC1.  My particular incident involved the CMOS date causing the dreaded timebomb, so no big deal I have to reinstall, but for WHS there is no reinstall only a 'new installation' option which wipes out the data on all the drives, this time it wasn't 'that' big a deal, I had only copied a few hundred GB over to the server that I had to swizzle back an forth around the drives again, but this process would have been unbearable if I had copied 3+ TB over and filled the drives up.  I'm hoping that I won't have to go through the same ordeal, but you never know when a system is going to become unbootable and the only option is to reinstall.  I hope this functionality is added for the RTM or at least the ability to add drives from a previous install without wiping them, essentially introducing the data contained on them into the fold.  One of the main reasons I got so excited about WHS was the ease in which I would be able to upgrade drives without having to rebuild RAID sets and copy massive amounts of files around, now it looks like I might still be doing it just for different reasons.  If there is some work around for this that I am unaware of please let me know (I searched the threads here and couldn't find anything).  As it stands right now, I am very hesitant to start filling the drives up until I feel confident I have a manageable way to get the server back up if something were to go wrong.

--Brian

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:27 AM

Answers

• That ability hasn't been removed. Once you're @ RC1 you can reinstall.

Gordon

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:53 PM

All replies

• If you follow the instructions here: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1258811&SiteID=50 it should be possible to restore your WHS.

I haven't tried it though....

/michael

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:45 AM
  • Michael,

Thanks for the link, although it looks to be specific to Beta2/CTP.  There does not appear to be an upgrade option in RC1 or at least one I can figure out how to get to. 

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:52 AM
  • This has been explained in the past, in short:

• OS partition is now 20 GB instead of 10 GB
    • The backup database changed between CTP and RC, and to ensure backups were made correctly and PC restores could happen, we needed to wipe the backups of the home PCs.

Also, this is still beta software and we recommend that people have a backup of any files, photos, and music prior to putting it on their home servers.

Lastly, there will be an option in the future to simply re-install the Windows Home Server OS and all of the data on your Shared Folders and PC Backups will remain.  This option was removed for the RC release due to the 2 bulleted items above.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Not sure if you read the comment or just the title, I understand why there is not an option to upgrade from CTP->RC1, my question was why not leave the ability to Upgrade/Reinstall from RC1->RC1 in case there is a problem, but more specifically I was asking if there is a work around to trick RC1 into allowing the 'upgrade' or 'reinstall' option so if the system gets hosed I can get it up and running faster than the current scenario.  I assumed or at least hoped that this behavior will be present in RC2/RTM releases so I will not have to worry about it at that point, although I had not seen anyone confirm this, thank you for assuring me that this option will be present in future releases.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:26 PM
  • That ability hasn't been removed. Once you're @ RC1 you can reinstall.

Gordon

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:53 PM
  • When I did the RC install, the drop down for the install type had two options on it, one of which was the equivalent of re-install (I didn't make a note of the exact text).
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:07 PM
  • OK, thanks for the info.  The option was not showing up for me only 'Full Installation' was in the pull down after the timebomb.  Maybe because of the timebomb it would not allow a reinstallation or maybe it was just a bug, at this point it will be a pain to reproduce, but if I have time... 

Good to know it is there if other problems arise.

Thanks for everybodys input,

--Brian

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:55 PM
  • I have the same situation. I have RC1 installed. My primary drive failed and I booted from the RC1 DVD. There is no upgrade option - only full installation. I'm assuming I'll lose everything if I go ahead with the Full Install?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 1:45 PM
  • If you choose "New Installation", yes.  However, you should also have "Server Re-installation" as an option.  That one will format your OS, but keep your data in tact.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 2:11 PM
  • I have the same problem now. I had reinstalled Home server once and had a reinstallation option. But now I only have a new install option. And i'm using the same disk.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:58 PM
  • What version of WHS do you currently have installed?  Are you replacing the primary hard drive?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:05 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

What version of WHS do you currently have installed?  Are you replacing the primary hard drive?

RC1. Not replacing the current hard drive. Just doing a reinstall.

I have done a reinstall in the past with the same disk and did have a reinstall option. Now I don't.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Did you have any sort of corruption that is causing you to reinstall?
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:32 PM
  •  Tom Ziegmann wrote:
    Did you have any sort of corruption that is causing you to reinstall?

Not that I am aware. All drives report healthy.

Just doing my best to break it in my testing phase of the server. It seems I may have borked the reinstall.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:35 PM
  •  fandibus wrote:

Just doing my best to break it in my testing phase of the server. It seems I may have borked the reinstall.

I just tried throwing the DVD in and it worked fine for me (it showed both New Installation and Server Reinstallation in the drop down menu).  I don't mean to question you, but are you absolutely certain you are using RC1?  (Your Resources tab shows everything as 6.0.1424.2, right?)

Sunday, August 26, 2007 8:27 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

fandibus wrote:

I just tried throwing the DVD in and it worked fine for me (it showed both New Installation and Server Reinstallation in the drop down menu).  I don't mean to question you, but are you absolutely certain you are using RC1?  (Your Resources tab shows everything as 6.0.1424.2, right?)

It's RC1 alright. And it's especially odd because I have done a reinstallation with the same exact disc before. It's not a huge deal at this point because I have the data on an external drive so I can just do a new install. And perhaps whatever glitch I have run into will not be present in the final release. But it would be nice to get around this problem.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:45 PM
  •  fandibus wrote:

It's RC1 alright. And it's especially odd because I have done a reinstallation with the same exact disc before. It's not a huge deal at this point because I have the data on an external drive so I can just do a new install. And perhaps whatever glitch I have run into will not be present in the final release. But it would be nice to get around this problem.

Well, I guess the biggest problem I can see is if you were planning on doing a Server Reinstall for RTM, you may be out of luck now.....

Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:53 PM