none
TROUBLE OPENING WORD DOCUMENT FROM 1996 RRS feed

• Question

• I GET THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:

X.DOC USES A FILE TYPE THAT IS BLOCKED FROM OPENING IN THIS VERSION. I OPENED IT AS A TEXT FILE BUT ALL THE PICTURES AND GRAPHS ARE LOST.

WHAT CAN I DO

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 12:39 PM

All replies

• First, you need to get to the File Block Settings dialog box:

1. In Word, select File > Options.
    2. In the resulting Word Options dialog box’s left pane, click Trust Center.
    3. Click Trust Center Settings button
    4. In the resulting Trust Center dialog box’s left pane, select File Block Settings.

Note that the resulting dialog box is dominated by a list of document formats—

The three options at the bottom of the dialog box control. The default setting, Open selected file types in Protected View, allows you to view the document in Word, but not edit it.

The Do not open selected file types option blocks access to the file entirely—both in Word and in Windows/File Explorer’s Preview pane.

The Open selected file types in Protected View and allow editing option is similar to the default, except for a big Enable Editing button. Click it, and you can edit the file, print it, and even view it in Windows/File Explorer. And you can continue to do all of those things for that particular file.

If you uncheck the format’s Open checkmark, you can do anything with the file. But you have to access  oldfiles with security needs

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 4:29 PM