Dashboard won't load/start RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running windows home server for almost a month now and it ran an update today for a c++ patch and for a .net framework.  After doing this I was unable to access dashboard and unable to access my shared data.  I tried uninstalling the updates, rebooted the server, then tried renewing CA certificates and rebooted but still have had no luck whatsoever.  Please let me know what I can do to get the server running properly.  I am able to access WHS via RDC on my mac.  but when i try to click on the shared folders via the mac i get the error:  The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Documents” can’t be found.

what are my options??

Friday, September 9, 2011 10:23 PM

All replies

• Do you have a PC to try out the same thing?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 10:33 PM
  • well, even if I Remote in to the WHS I can't access the shared folders at all.  "\\server\documents is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.  The device is not ready."

this is ridiculous that an update can cripple the server.  how does WHS not have a restore point?!?!

Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:56 AM
  • On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 01:56:13 +0000, samehta0318 wrote:

how does WHS not have a restore point?!?

Because the underlying OS upon which it is base, Server 2008 R2, does not
    have support for restore points, that's a client OS feature.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    There must be more to life than compile-and-go.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 11:18 AM
  • this is ridiculous that an update can cripple the server.  how does WHS not have a restore point?!?!

You can restore your server to a previous state by recovering it from a Server Backup:

Backup & Restore

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 11:40 AM
  • hey thanks guys.  my question is though if i restore it from a server backup (which is the only thing I didn't setup in the month i have had it) since I have everything RAID'd, can I just make a bootable thumb drive, do a repair installation of the system drive without effecting any of my hard data?  The system drive is a partition on 1 of the 4 HDs in the server.  I have 2 2 TBs, an 2 1 TB drives.  And I did a hardware RAID via the registry, I did not use WHS 2011 disk management to design the RAID system.   
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:35 PM
  • The answer should be in the link I provided - an installation will delete everything on the same disk as the OS, the supported way of getting that data back is from the server backup. What you could try is connecting the OS drive to another computer (for example using a USB drive enclosure) and copying the data from the D: drive before re-installation.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:55 PM
  • if i do a repair won't it only repair those files that could be corrupted as opposed to reinstalling the entire OS and reformatting the entire 2 TB drive? and since i did a hardware RAID instead of a software RAID whs only sees that there are 2 drives, not 4.  therefore, won't the other 2 tb drive have all my data on there without any compromise?  also, based on everything i read in that link and videos I have seen online can't you choose to only restore that system drive, protecting all your data?  I am basically trying to find any work around to restore the server's previous state or even a new state without compromising all my data or having to retransfer it all.  Is this possible without a server backup??

I appreciate all the help.

not sure, what could have happened to the dashboard and shared folders by just running an update?  makes you wonder if it's worth all this headache to have a whs, maybe a linux server is the way to go. 

Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:23 PM
  • can i restore the server from another computer on the network, specifically a windows 7 desktop machine?

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-gb/windowshomeserver2011/hh134062.aspx

Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:38 PM
  • can i restore the server from another computer on the network, specifically a windows 7 desktop machine?

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-gb/windowshomeserver2011/hh134062.aspx

No, that's written assuming you have an OEM server, with server recovery media. While it's probably possible for an individual to create such a disk, Microsoft hasn't documented the process for us.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:07 PM
  • so i tried doing a repair from existing installation from my thumb drive but since there is no system image available, it cannot follow through with that method.  is there a way for it to read the bootable thumb drive as a system image?  what other options are there other than doing  a fresh install? 
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 12:18 AM