Will increasing memory help performance? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 512mb ddr2 in the server.  I can bump this up to 1gig.  Will this help in anyway?  I know with some server software more memory shows no appearant gain.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 11:21 AM

Answers

• Hi

I think for what "little" WHS is running, and as long as you aren't having many pc's simultaneously  streaming large video files while the server is doing heavy backup & maintenance, I don't think adding more memory will provide significant performance boost.  Faster drives (10K spinners, SATA-2, etc) and network cards will definitely help though in any case.

Jay
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:30 AM
  • For a file server, which is what WHS primarily is, many GB of memory is a waste of money. File servers are highly dependent on the speed of their I/O systems for performance. So 512 MB should be plenty as long as you aren't doing memory-intensive tasks (database applications are what come to mind).

Of course if you've got the extra 512 MB of memory laying around going to waste, you can go ahead and throw it in, and it will help a little, but don't expect to see much gain on other PCs on your network.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi

I think for what "little" WHS is running, and as long as you aren't having many pc's simultaneously  streaming large video files while the server is doing heavy backup & maintenance, I don't think adding more memory will provide significant performance boost.  Faster drives (10K spinners, SATA-2, etc) and network cards will definitely help though in any case.

Jay
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:30 AM
  • For a file server, which is what WHS primarily is, many GB of memory is a waste of money. File servers are highly dependent on the speed of their I/O systems for performance. So 512 MB should be plenty as long as you aren't doing memory-intensive tasks (database applications are what come to mind).

Of course if you've got the extra 512 MB of memory laying around going to waste, you can go ahead and throw it in, and it will help a little, but don't expect to see much gain on other PCs on your network.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 1:02 PM
  • Thanks guys ... I had it around so went ahead and installed it.  No real change but I have noticed that when backing up one system and accessing the server from the console from another that the system is not quite as sluggish.  Not much but a little better.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 1:20 PM
  • OK what are the specs on the memory and how do you install it?

I just got my WHS and of course I want to modify it.

I have spare laptop memory chips laying around and some PC chips but since I have not opened the unit I have no idea what it takes.

I have also seen notes about bumping up the processor but I think I will wait until tommorrow for that.

Any other newbee tips are welcomed!

I do have a motto " If it ain't broke don't fix it" So I may wait until Monday.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:41 PM