Does project manager require MSProject2010 to manage the projects? RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone,

Is Msproject 2010 required to manage projects? or else project web access enough to do project management!!

regards,

sailaja kaladurgi.

Friday, July 30, 2010 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hello Sailaja

PWA can do about 80 to 90 % of what a project manager cannot do, but using project professional is more effiecent and easier and there client provides some tools that you will not get with PWA, such as baseline.  I would go nuts, if I had only the PWA to manage projects.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, July 30, 2010 12:00 PM
  • HI Sailija,

jsut to add to the great answer Michael gave, it very much depends on the complexity of your project. the web based projcet schedule edit capabillity of Project Server is really good for straight forward projects or recurring projects. Limitation to consider are:

- you cannot baseline using the web version
    - You only have the Gantt Chart view, so detailed Resource planning often requires the Usage View which you dont get in the web version. That also means that you cant create split views, which I am working with all the time

These are only a view of the limitations, but when managing a project I find these once to be very important. I personally think that PM's should get their MS project version.

Hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:37 AM

All replies

• Hello Sailaja

PWA can do about 80 to 90 % of what a project manager cannot do, but using project professional is more effiecent and easier and there client provides some tools that you will not get with PWA, such as baseline.  I would go nuts, if I had only the PWA to manage projects.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, July 30, 2010 12:00 PM
  • HI Sailija,

jsut to add to the great answer Michael gave, it very much depends on the complexity of your project. the web based projcet schedule edit capabillity of Project Server is really good for straight forward projects or recurring projects. Limitation to consider are:

- you cannot baseline using the web version
    - You only have the Gantt Chart view, so detailed Resource planning often requires the Usage View which you dont get in the web version. That also means that you cant create split views, which I am working with all the time

These are only a view of the limitations, but when managing a project I find these once to be very important. I personally think that PM's should get their MS project version.

Hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:37 AM
  •       thanks Michael and Marc

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:21 AM