Loss of connection at 94-96% completion of backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have done a lot of work in the last 2 weeks to get where I am with my PC based home server.
    The one last issue I can't seem to fix is, when the backup completion bar gets to about 94% I loose connection to the server and can't reconnect from either my desktop PC or my laptop w/wireless. I have to go downstairs and reset the server manually, then I can reconnect, and see that the backup is listed as "complete". I looked for errors in the event log, but can't seem to find anything except that the server was shutdown unexpectedly. Please steer me in some direction.
    I have an OEM software licensed package. I have done a clean install, and resolved all the usual issues, I even managed to stop the "connector version" issue.
    I am using AHCI HDD drivers, instead of IDE. I have a new D-Link DIR-655 router, but had this issue with my old DI-624 as well.
    The server is a new/purpose built PC with AMD 64 X2 proc. and AM3 mobo from AsRock, 2GB mem, Gigabit lan
    I love this setup, but this issue is annoying.

Thanks in advance, Dan
    Friday, September 25, 2009 4:46 AM

All replies

• Are you able to open the most recent backup for each of your clients? (Just to make sure the backups are OK).

Possibly the server NIC, the network adapter drivers or settings are responsible for this issue;

1. You could try and use other drivers. If the NIC works with the drivers already included with WHS I would stick with these. If you need third party drivers (from the NIC or MOBO manufacturer you could try another driver version if available.

2. You can also try setting the server NIC to a fixed speed instead of auto negotiate. If your not network is not all Gigabit you can try 100 Mbps Full Duplex.

3. I recall there's also a few threads on these forums about Gigabit NIC's and Jumbo frames and Max MTU. Could be worthwile to check these out as well.

Friday, September 25, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Brubber.

Being fairly network illiterate, I have trouble following the logic of what is required in the system I am using.
    The server console displays a "Port Forwarding error"  after reboot.  The D-Link web setup utility is very user friendly, but I am having a hard time understanding exactly what info (ports, names, addresses) needs to be input to allow the "handshake " to occur.
    LOL, I guess at 60 years old, I am getting into this a little late.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:44 PM
  • For local connection of server and client there should be no need to change anything in your router set-up. I expect that it's the server NIC which is the culprit. If you have desktop access to your server you could try resetting your LAN connection or disable/enable the NIC instead of reboot. If this also solves the connection problem please have a look at suggestions 1 and 2 from previous post.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:52 PM