OneCare Corrupting my User Profiles under Vista ?? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

HI All - I'm stumped .... and concerned!!

- I have 3 * PC's in the house with 1 running Vista Ultimate, 1 running Vista Home Premium and 1 running Vista Business

- They have alll been running fine for 6-14 months

- Trend's PC-Cillin expired a couple of months ago so I purchased a OneCare subscription and set up my circle with backups and monitoring working a treat.

However:

- First my wife's profile disappears from the Vista Ultimate when she logged i.e. recreates the profile when logging in and no data or configuration information (this happened about three weeks after installation of OneCare) - I put it down to 'just one of those things' as I haven't had the problem ever before

- Then two weeks later, my daughter's account on the Vista Home Premium machine experiences the same problem

- Then today it happened to me - I login to the Vista Ultimate machine and no configuration or data from before.

I noticed a forum article from February where someone was experiencing a similar problem - thinking that a backup process could possibly be corrupting things?!?

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2645262&SiteID=2

All I know is that the only thing that has changed on these machines is OneCare, I haven't come across the problem before and I am now seriously considering turning it off.  Based on the article above - maybe I'll just stop all OneCare automatic backups and just leave it on for virus scanning.

Bottom line is that this a concern and I would appreciate anyone's feedback as to whether it could be anything else.

Many thanks

regards

Lucas

Friday, September 5, 2008 10:46 AM

All replies

• I doubt that it is the OneCare backup, though it can happen if you try to login when the profile has been locked when a system process is running in the background - which could be backup. Typically, logging out and back in again resolves this. And, sometimes a reboot is required. Did you do this in each case? If the profile is truly corrupt and unrecoverable with the simple logout or reboot, then there's something else going on and I doubt that it would be OneCare unless it is a conflict with something else you are running in common on your PCs. This problem with the profile being locked has rarely been mentioned here, so I have to assume that it is quite rare in practice. I have never encountered it on Vista and only a few times on an older XP box *and* I don't use OneCare backup.

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:56 PM
  •  

Thanks for your comments Steve - I do find it hard to believe that OneCare could be causing the problem but I just wish it wasn't the only thing that had changed on the machines (apart from normal MS patching :-) ).  First two times, logging out and logging back in again didn't make a difference - the last time, when it happened to mine, the logout and log back in solved the problem.  FYI, my backups are set to run later at night not at the times that when the logging in is happening unless OneCare (or something else) is looking through the profiles.

Anyways, I'm at a loose end on this one and 'for the heck of it' have turned off the scheduled backups and see whether I have any challenges over the next few months.  The coincidence of things is what kills me :-)

best regards

Lucas

Sunday, September 7, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Please do let us know if the problem continues with backup turned off or if it returns when you enable it once again.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:56 PM
  • It's happened to me in virtually the same situation.  We have 3 laptops, 1 running Windows Vista Ultimate, the other two are running Windows XP Pro.  I'm constantly having to re-input my user profile and give myself full permissions again, then few days later I notice that my access is blocked and I have to redo it.  Can't figure out what's happening.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:14 PM
  •  JMP88 wrote:
    It's happened to me in virtually the same situation.  We have 3 laptops, 1 running Windows Vista Ultimate, the other two are running Windows XP Pro.  I'm constantly having to re-input my user profile and give myself full permissions again, then few days later I notice that my access is blocked and I have to redo it.  Can't figure out what's happening.

Where are you modifying the profile and permissions? On the Vista machine?

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:44 PM