System partition RRS feed

• Question

•  

My System partition is 120GB on my 500GB drive, is there a way to resize it and increase to data partition size?
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:51 PM

Answers

• I can't speak for today, because I haven't tried to resize my system partiton, but at one time, if Windows Home Server setup detected that the system drive already had an installation of WHS present, it would simply format the C: partition, but preserve the size of the partition. So I would not expect that a server reinstallation will change the size of your system partition without additional effort on your part.

You could try removing all the partitions from the drive before your server reinstallation, to mimic a drive replacement.
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Well, I deleted all of the partitions and did a new install, sys partition is now 20GB as it is suppose to be.  I'm good to go now, thanks to everybody that offered suggestions.

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi. What system do you have? The system partition on WHS is only 20GB

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:03 PM
  • I recycled a P4 3.2G system, replaced an 80GB drive with a 500GB drive.  When I look at the storage tab it show the system partition as 120GB and 92B free space.  I'd like to free up some of the space the system is using, not sure if I could use administrator tools - disk management to do it or not.  Don't really want to reload, but...

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:55 PM
  •  Micro1024 wrote:
    I recycled a P4 3.2G system, replaced an 80GB drive with a 500GB drive.  When I look at the storage tab it show the system partition as 120GB and 92B free space.  I'd like to free up some of the space the system is using, not sure if I could use administrator tools - disk management to do it or not.  Don't really want to reload, but...

Just for clarification, is this drive part of Windows Home Server, or another OS?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Windows Home Server

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 8:58 PM
  •  Micro1024 wrote:
    Windows Home Server

Well, something is definitely wrong then.  The C drive (where the OS is) should only be 20 GB and the D drive should be everything else (in your case, approx 480 GB).  When you replaced the 80 GB, did you do a clone of that drive to the 500 GB, or a Server Reinstallation from the WHS DVD?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 9:34 PM
  • I loaded it on the 80 GB then used an ImageMaster (hardware duplicator) to copy it to the 500 GB. 

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 10:20 PM
  • The answer to the basic question is that there is no supported way to resize any partition that Windows Home Server creates as part of setup or normal operation. If you search the forums, you will find that a few people have managed to do so, but there's no reason to, really. 20 GB is plenty of space for the operating system, the WHS bits, and several add-ins.
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:44 PM
  • My system partition is 125 GB, I want to reduce it to 20 GB to increase my data storage space.  I'm going to reload and hope it configures the drive correctly this time. 

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:33 PM
  •  Micro1024 wrote:

My system partition is 125 GB, I want to reduce it to 20 GB to increase my data storage space.  I'm going to reload and hope it configures the drive correctly this time. 

I hope you mean do a fresh install. If you simply re-image your drive, you'll likely have the same results.

Cruise
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 3:00 PM
  • I can't speak for today, because I haven't tried to resize my system partiton, but at one time, if Windows Home Server setup detected that the system drive already had an installation of WHS present, it would simply format the C: partition, but preserve the size of the partition. So I would not expect that a server reinstallation will change the size of your system partition without additional effort on your part.

You could try removing all the partitions from the drive before your server reinstallation, to mimic a drive replacement.
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Well, I deleted all of the partitions and did a new install, sys partition is now 20GB as it is suppose to be.  I'm good to go now, thanks to everybody that offered suggestions.

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:50 PM