Changing Product Key on Admin Install RRS feed

• Question

• We have just been given a new Enterprise License, but need to know if its possible to change the license key on Office 2003 Admin Install on a network share?

I have done a bit of searching and see other people have asked the question, but most responses have been regards the regedit key, but this only applies to installed apps.

I am hoping we can just change it as it would save loads of time, but do have the feeling, i am going to need to dig out the CD's and apply all those patches/sp again Sad

If there are any 3rd party tools out there that can change it, it would be nice to have, as we currently have around 14 administrative apps i need to change the license key for.

Cheers

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• How to change the product key for Office XP, for Office 2003, and for the 2007 Office system:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895456/en-us

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, maybe i was not to clear in my question, the Office applications are administrative installs on a network share, then we are using software deployment to install from that network share so any updates can be done centrally.

As we have now recieved a new license i wanted to check if it was possible to change it on the administrative install on the network share, or if i would need to run another admin install.

The link you sent was helpful to another question/query i have been looking at, so again thanks.

In the meantime, i will just grab the CD's and re-run the administrative install and apply the patches and service packs again.

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:08 PM
  • no you were clear, it's a pretty simple problem. and you're right, everyone answers this question by editing the registry. guh.

I have it too for admin installs.

as far as I can tell, it's by design, so you can't pinch an organisations Admin install, take it to another company, replace the reg info, and just use that.

I did 2x admin installs (of Visio, but am checking out other products and is the same I think), patched the same, to 2 diff folders, then compared the folders, and the only file different is the msi, comparing the msi's gave a transform with a bunch of differences, but I think the registration info is encrypted into the binary table, I certainly couldn't find it in clear text in the msi, so I'm guessing thats the end of the road.

We have the same issue as are trying to do a single consistent admin image, but apply different transforms for the different customers, which you'd think is a pretty reasonable use of the install..

good luck.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:43 PM