WGA Customer Service (A PAINFUL PROCESS). Can this be improved? RRS feed

• Question

• I am all for genuine software.  I own and HP notebook which I asked the Vendor to use XP instead of Vista.  I did all my updates regularly and when the WGA notification came up I eagerly installed it and did the verification.  The result was that the XP installed has been tagged as a possible counterfeit.  I was naturally upset.  The first thing I saw was that I have to pay $199.  As far as I know, I already paid for my software.  An HP notebook comes with it. 

I called the WGA hotline.  They asked for my name and email address.  Then I described the problem.  They checked Proof of Authenticity under my notebook and the WGA representative told me that my certificate is for Vista and not for XP.  I was told to call Microsoft Custome Service using a particular phone number, at a particular time frame and to mention a specific reference number.  I asked for the information to be emailed to me for which I was told that WGA DOES NOT SEND EMAILS.  (THEN WHY ASK FOR MY EMAIL ADDRESS?)  After a lengthy and heated argument, I told the representative that I didn't want to talk to him anymore and I insisted on talking to his Supervisor instead.  The Supervisor emailed to me the relevant information.

I called up Microsoft Customer Service and I gave them the reference number I was emailed.  I was then told that they are the wrong department to call and I was given another department and phone number.  I asked for the information to be emailed, to which they promptly did.  Lo and behold my surprise when the department turned out to be THE SAME WGA GROUP I CALLED EARLIER.  When I called WGA again, I was told that the reason why I was referred back to them is that I DIDN'T SAY THAT THE ISSUE WAS ABOUT LICENSE DOWNGRADE RIGHTS.  I told the representative that SHOULDN'T THE REFERENCE NUMBER YOU GAVE ME CONTAIN THAT?  I thought the purpose of those reference numbers was to have an interaction history in the first place.  The new WGA agent I talked to assured me that the NEW REFERENCE no will contain all the required information and to CALL MICROSOFT CUSTOMER SERVICE AGAIN AT A PARTICULAR TIME.  WGA STILL WOULDN'T EMAIL ME THE INFORMATION.

I called up Microsoft Customer Service AGAIN AT A PARTICULAR TIME and I was told that I SHOULD CALL HP DIRECTLY.  (@#$%*&%  Pardon me for my French)

WHY DIDN'T WGA TELL ME TO CALL HP RIGHT FROM THE VERY BEGINNING?!

I called up HP and they said that they'll send the CDs free of charge.  Which they did.  I got the CDs a couple of days later. 

My entire interraction with HP is 10 minutes.  The duration from when I first talked to WGA until I was told by Microsoft Customer Service to call HP was 4 DAYS!

I have reinstalled the XP (and the applications that goes with my notebook) using the CDs that HP sent.  I am now reluctant to buy Microsoft again in the future because of my interaction with WGA.

I wrote this in the forum so that the customer service process can be improved.   I hope it will.  Otherwise, this would be my last purchase of a Windows Notebook.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:18 PM

Answers

• No worries.  I'm in Vancouver but I bought the PC in Singapore.  Maybe that's the reason why I got a WGA Hotline.  However, the hotline is a 1-800 number and the operating hours that they gave me was based on Pacific Time (both for WGA and Microsoft Customer Service).  I had the impression that this was a standard support for North America.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:21 AM

All replies

• I'm with you there.  Pretty sure at this point that my next PC will be a MAC.  Not because of the trouble caused by WGA, that was just the last nail in the coffin.  I've been seeing more and more games for the MAC and games are all I really want a PC for anyway.
    An object at rest can not be stopped
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Hello Wiston Sicat,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Hello Winston Sicat,

You wrote, "I own and HP notebook which I asked the Vendor to use XP instead of Vista."

Then your first call should have been to the Vendor to have them explain why the installation of Windows XP they put on the HP computer was coming up as nongenuine.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Hi Dan,

HP also sells to distributors (I used the word "Vendors").  That's where I got my notebook. You're right about going back to them first.  Unfortunately, they're half-way around the world.  A fact that I mentioned to the the WGA guys and I was still told to go back to them. I guess that was my initial dissapointment.  I pressed for an alternative solution and that is how I got Microsoft Customer Service.

I was asking for an email feedback from WGA so that I can send the proper message to that "Vendor". An email orginating from the Microsoft guys is far more reliable (and less likely to contain errors) than one just originating from me.  I had to argue to get the email. That was my second disappointment.

Microsoft Customer Service new that I should call HP.  The WGA guys knew it was an HP laptop and even got the serial number but they didn't say to call HP directly as an alternative.  That was the third.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Thanks Darin.  I appreciate the help.

I was ranting about the Customer Service process from WGA.  The Diagnostic tools work fine.  :)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Yeah, you're right.  I use my PC mostly for entertainment purposes. (games, videos, music. .  )  Vista was advertised to be that version but I wasn't too impressed with the Demo and the huge resource it requires.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Thanks Darin.  I appreciate the help.

I was ranting about the Customer Service process from WGA.  The Diagnostic tools work fine.  :)

My apologies, I mis-read your post to mean you were still having a Non-Genuine issue, which is why I asked for the Diagnostic Report. My mistake.

Thank you for the feedback and I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with WGA support.

If I may ask, what region of the world are you located?  The reason I ask is in North America, WGA is supported only by Email (well, forums too) but no phone support. However, some Microsoft Subsidiary in Europe or Asia may have phone based support for WGA which would explain the 'WGA hotline' that you mentioned. Knowing were this occured would help me pass on your feedback to the proper people.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:13 PM
  • No worries.  I'm in Vancouver but I bought the PC in Singapore.  Maybe that's the reason why I got a WGA Hotline.  However, the hotline is a 1-800 number and the operating hours that they gave me was based on Pacific Time (both for WGA and Microsoft Customer Service).  I had the impression that this was a standard support for North America.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:21 AM

• I had though that the US support centers serviced Canada, as well (never checked, I just assumed), but it makes sense that they have thier own support (especally since support in both English and French, would need to be provided) and it could include Phone based WGA support. 

Anyways, if you ever have any sort of Non-Genuine issue, in the future, just come to me. Forums may not be as fast a Phone Support, but (as long as a Diagnostic Report is posted) I can usually give you a diagnosis and fix within one (maybe two) posts. 

Thanks,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:36 PM