none
Remove Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am excited about WHS.  Finally a server option for the non IT set.  I built a very robust machine for my server, expecting it to live a long and useful life.

My drive set up is as follows

1 x 80Gb SATA drive for the OS

2 x 250 GBb SATA drive set up as RAID 0 for everything else.  I don't use folder duplication.

1 x 350 Gb external SATA drive. Added after the original OS install but was set up as part of the storage pool.

I decided I wanted to change my set up and was going to perform a new install of the OS.  Using the "Drive Wizard" I removed the350Gb external SATA drive from the storage pool.  I did not  get any error messages in fact the message displayed was there would be "No loss of Data" and "No loss of backup".  I proceded with the removal.

Now 1) The backup service is not running on WHS and will not start.  And of course I can't access the back up to perform any kind of restore. 2) I can't copy the contents of my shared folders to a different drive.  I wanted to do this so I could copy the contents back to WHS after the new install.  I get a error siting "Incorrect file handle".

What have I done?

Monday, October 8, 2007 3:47 PM

Answers

• First, what version are you running? Is it the final release software, or one of the betas? (I'm guessing it's a beta.)

Now, as to what's happened... Elsewhere in the forums, Microsoft has recommended that you turn on duplication and wait for balancing to complete before removing any drive from your WHS. I think this is because (in the betas for sure) selecting "Remove Drive" doesn't always move files off the drive. So what's happened is that removing the drive left the files behind. Your system drive has "pointers" to those files (tombstones), but the files themselves are gone now. So you get errors.

Your files aren't lost, however. You can connect your eSATA drive to any PC that supports it, and the files should still be in the \DE hidden folder in the root of the drive. You can copy the files from the external drive to the PC the drive is connected to. At worst, you will have to do likewise with the array; the files still on it are mixed in (in the shares) with files on the removed drive, so it's likely you'll have a bad time extracting the data any other way. (There are ways to get at the files while the array is still installed in the WHS, but if you can relocate the array it would be better.)

One recommendation: break your stripe set when you reinstall. IMO RAID 0 is only useful for files that you can easily recreate or otherwise don't mind losing, because it's less reliable than the least reliable drive in the array.
    Monday, October 8, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Just an observation - it looks like you installed WHS onto the smallest drive, do to the way WHS works, Microsoft recommends installing the OS onto the largest drive possible.  This is because I believe everything gets written to the data partition on the drive with the system partition, it is the redistributed.  So you could run into a situation where you have plenty of storage available, but are stricted do to the size of the primary drive.

I'm not sure if that's what you were intending by removing the 350Gb drive - where you going to reinstall on WHS on it?  Anyway, you should have WHS installed on the largest drive.

Mash

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:39 PM
  • I'm using

Windows Home Server

Evaluation Copy

Build 3790

SP2

Original install date 06/29/2007

I tried as you suggested, adding the drive back to the original server, but am still unable to access or move any of the files.

Any other suggestions?  There isn't anything irreplaceble on the box but an awful lot of work getting it there.

Also the "Backup" service is running on WHS and it won't start either

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:24 PM
  •  

I'm using

Windows Home Server

Evaluation Copy

Build 3790

SP2

I tried as you suggested, adding the drive back to the original server, but am still unable to access or move any of the files.

Any other suggestions?  There isn't anything irreplaceble on the box but an awful lot of work getting it there.

Friday, October 12, 2007 1:27 AM
  • If the drive has been connected back to the server, but hasn't been added to the storage pool, then you can try loggin in to the server using Remote Desktop and copying files directly from the \DE hidden folder on that drive to the storage pool. If you've added it back in to the storage pool the files on it may be unrecoverable, because the process of adding a drive to the pool formats it.
    Friday, October 12, 2007 2:45 AM

All replies

• First, what version are you running? Is it the final release software, or one of the betas? (I'm guessing it's a beta.)

Now, as to what's happened... Elsewhere in the forums, Microsoft has recommended that you turn on duplication and wait for balancing to complete before removing any drive from your WHS. I think this is because (in the betas for sure) selecting "Remove Drive" doesn't always move files off the drive. So what's happened is that removing the drive left the files behind. Your system drive has "pointers" to those files (tombstones), but the files themselves are gone now. So you get errors.

Your files aren't lost, however. You can connect your eSATA drive to any PC that supports it, and the files should still be in the \DE hidden folder in the root of the drive. You can copy the files from the external drive to the PC the drive is connected to. At worst, you will have to do likewise with the array; the files still on it are mixed in (in the shares) with files on the removed drive, so it's likely you'll have a bad time extracting the data any other way. (There are ways to get at the files while the array is still installed in the WHS, but if you can relocate the array it would be better.)

One recommendation: break your stripe set when you reinstall. IMO RAID 0 is only useful for files that you can easily recreate or otherwise don't mind losing, because it's less reliable than the least reliable drive in the array.
    Monday, October 8, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Just an observation - it looks like you installed WHS onto the smallest drive, do to the way WHS works, Microsoft recommends installing the OS onto the largest drive possible.  This is because I believe everything gets written to the data partition on the drive with the system partition, it is the redistributed.  So you could run into a situation where you have plenty of storage available, but are stricted do to the size of the primary drive.

I'm not sure if that's what you were intending by removing the 350Gb drive - where you going to reinstall on WHS on it?  Anyway, you should have WHS installed on the largest drive.

Mash

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:39 PM
  • I'm using

Windows Home Server

Evaluation Copy

Build 3790

SP2

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:24 PM
  •  

I'm using

Windows Home Server

Evaluation Copy

Build 3790

SP2

Friday, October 12, 2007 1:27 AM
  • If the drive has been connected back to the server, but hasn't been added to the storage pool, then you can try loggin in to the server using Remote Desktop and copying files directly from the \DE hidden folder on that drive to the storage pool. If you've added it back in to the storage pool the files on it may be unrecoverable, because the process of adding a drive to the pool formats it.
    Friday, October 12, 2007 2:45 AM