Complaints

Question

• Please advise me where, on your MS website, I can send my VISTA complaints.  I am currently considering whether to return a PC I recently purchased because I would have to erase Vista and load XP (at an additional $350 fee) so that I can actually run existing software. Thanks MS. I now see why the company I work for refuses to upgrade to Vista.  Hpw dare you issue such a major operating system that is so downward incompatible with software only a few years old.  Thanks for nothing.

Seriously, where on you web-site is the complaint department.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 1:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Try installing your programs using Vista's Program Compatibility Wizard:

Make older programs run in this version of Windows
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/bf416877-c83f-4476-a3da-8ec98dcf5f101033.mspx

Windows Vista Help & Support Newsgroups:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

How to ask a question:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:21 AM
  • BE S001,

Please state the exact title and version of the software you think is incompatible with Vista.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Neverwinter Nights

All of eGames Mahjong, Solitaire, etc. series games

Sierra Hoyle

I have to purchase a Quicken upgrade

I lose functionality form my HP-2410 printer when scanning

I lose access to my work PC from home ... Vista is incompatibile with our intranet

I now have to spend another week figuring out what else will fail. I would rather have an upgrade FROM Vista to XP SP2.  I am still exploring all of the software I have with baited breath.  Why?  If I had the option at the store (for XP), I would not have selected Vista because I don't want to waste my time at home tracking incompatibilites. 

Mathcad 8

Print Shop

Paint Shop pro

Studio Plus

Stamps .Com

Cyberlink's Photo Navigator for my JVC

Picture Project 1.7

other games yet to be tried, BG I and II, RR Tycoon 3, MYST, URU, Icewindale

Anything that claims to be Vista compatible.

Saturday, September 08, 2007 12:49 AM
  • I too can find no way to register a complaint, nor any way to contact Microsoft at all. I was even willing to use up my one (!!) free email contact, but to do so required entering my MS Word 2003 product code. I opened up "About Microsoft Word" and transcribed the code which got me an "invalid code" message.

So, merely to contact these people, (1) I would have had to pay (after using up my free initial consultation), (2) I had to find and then type in an umpteen-digit code, (3) and now, I HAVE TO DEBUG WHY THE CODE WON'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Ah music to my ears. My wife and I have just bought 2 new pcs with Windows Vista installed, there are so many packages which now no longer work. Part of the reason for the new purchase was to undertake complicated statistical analysis useing SPSS which no longer works. The advice I got from Microsoft was you will need to buy the new version of SPSS, which is not yet available in the UK. We now have two useless pcs sitting in our office.

Surley this product goes against the trade discriptions act by not actually being an advancement in technology. The idea of bringing out an updated product is to make is easier for the user.

Why don't we all just get hot copies of windows or even just get Linux instead. There are many loyal customers of microsoft which have officially been let down.

Any suggestions Microsoft!
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:44 PM
  • Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Since this seems to get read quite a bit I have to make a complaint myself...since I don't have questions just the extreme desire to put Vista on a disc and light it on fire I think this is the best place for this.

Tonight at 3:00 am while chatting with some friends I right clicked on the taskbar by mistake and it became twice the normal size and I had several quick launch icons I did NOT need. I have been fighting for the last forty minutes trying to fix the problem and am immensely disappointed in Vista and if this was not my sister's computer I would put XP back on it faster than you could say "unsatisfied costumer" NO software should be this complicated or be this hard to fix. Did you even TEST this before it was released. I personally will NEVER put Vista on my computers at home. XP is far superior and in my opinion Vista is nothing but a joke.

Sincerly

Lacy Rice

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 9:38 AM
  • Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:01 PM
  • I too have been looking for a Microsoft Complaint Department.  I spent 1hr 45min on the phone with Microsoft

Support and never spoke to a tech that would help me actavate Windows Home Server Trial that Microsoft was so willing to send me.  I sent for the 120 day trial on the windows home server web site.  Installed it, and the first thing I noticed was it said 30 day left by the clock right after install.  I thought this would be enought time to tell if I liked it so I was happy with 30 days.  On the ninth day after install I put a new hard drive in the server to accomidate all of my data.  I spent that whole night transferring data.  The next morning I went to sign in and I got a message " Your home server trial has 20 days left and has expired, Please buy a Retail version and reinstall".  Click ok and the server reboots.  No way to get to the actavation screen.  Here is a copy of the letter I sent to the only tech that sent me an email.

I called for help activating Windows Home Server.
    Spoke with "Ren" who transferred me to "Shawn" who
    transferred me to "Ray" who told me there was no
    support for Windows Home Server Trial version and I
    told him I was trying to activate my copy.  He said
    there was no one at Microsoft that would help me
    activate.  I told him if I had to I would pay $79 for
    support from a real Microsoft Tech if he could help me
    activate. He said that was possible.  He gave me an
    interaction number of 080203008446012.  He transferred
    me to Tech Support and I spoke to "Andrew" who
    transferred me to a lady who could not pronounce her
    name clearly enough for me to write it down and
    transferred me to "Harmed" Who transferred me to
    "Zion" who transferred me to "Barb" who transferred me
    to "Jule". None of them seem to know anything about
    computers. Why should I have to pay for support to
    actavate? Even agreeing to pay for support no one
    could help me activate. I got transfer two more time
    to activation support and then the Windows Home Server
    support team.  They wanted to transfer me to someone
    else, I told that person not to bother, I had been on
    the phone for one hour and forty five minutes and I
    had all the transferring I could stand. Microsoft
    support is hopeless.  I would not take Windows Home
    Server software
    if you gave it to me because there is
    no one smart enough at Microsoft to activate it. I am
    an IT manager for the company I work for with 50
    windows machines. I am a server administrator and I
    have never spoken to so many people claiming to be
    Technical Support Agents who seem to know nothing
    about Microsoft Products. 
    I am so disappointed with Microsoft Technical Support
    I can’t put it into words.
    My unsolvable case number is 1057651499 and the
    interaction number given to me is 080203008446012
    Is Microsoft Technical support just a joke, a prank
    you pull on people?

Maybe the moderator can tell me where I can direct this complaint.
    Wednesday, February 06, 2008 3:21 AM
  •  

I too have been looking for a Microsoft Complaint Department.  I spent 1hr 45min on the phone with Microsoft

Support and never spoke to a tech that would help me actavate Windows Home Server Trial that Microsoft was so willing to send me.  I sent for the 120 day trial on the windows home server web site.  Installed it, and the first thing I noticed was it said 30 day left by the clock right after install.  I thought this would be enought time to tell if I liked it so I was happy with 30 days.  On the ninth day after install I put a new hard drive in the server to accomidate all of my data.  I spent that whole night transferring data.  The next morning I went to sign in and I got a message " Your home server trial has 20 days left and has expired, Please buy a Retail version and reinstall".  Click ok and the server reboots.  No way to get to the actavation screen.  Here is a copy of the letter I sent to the only tech that sent me an email.

I called for help activating Windows Home Server.
    Spoke with "Ren" who transferred me to "Shawn" who
    transferred me to "Ray" who told me there was no
    support for Windows Home Server Trial version and I
    told him I was trying to activate my copy.  He said
    there was no one at Microsoft that would help me
    activate.  I told him if I had to I would pay $79 for
    support from a real Microsoft Tech if he could help me
    activate. He said that was possible.  He gave me an
    interaction number of 080203008446012.  He transferred
    me to Tech Support and I spoke to "Andrew" who
    transferred me to a lady who could not pronounce her
    name clearly enough for me to write it down and
    transferred me to "Harmed" Who transferred me to
    "Zion" who transferred me to "Barb" who transferred me
    to "Jule". None of them seem to know anything about
    computers. Why should I have to pay for support to
    actavate? Even agreeing to pay for support no one
    could help me activate. I got transfer two more time
    to activation support and then the Windows Home Server
    support team.  They wanted to transfer me to someone
    else, I told that person not to bother, I had been on
    the phone for one hour and forty five minutes and I
    had all the transferring I could stand. Microsoft
    support is hopeless.  I would not take
    Windows Home
    Server software
    if you gave it to me because there is
    no one smart enough at Microsoft to activate it. I am
    an IT manager for the company I work for with 50
    windows machines. I am a server administrator and I
    have never spoken to so many people claiming to be
    Technical Support Agents who seem to know nothing
    about Microsoft Products. 
    I am so disappointed with Microsoft Technical Support
    I can’t put it into words.
    My unsolvable case number is 1057651499 and the
    interaction number given to me is 080203008446012
    Is Microsoft Technical support just a joke, a prank
    you pull on people?

Maybe the moderator can tell me where I can direct this complaint.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 3:28 AM
  • Okay, first of all, I'm an advanced user.  Been doing Windows since inception and always love it...once the kinks are worked out. Got a new Toshiba with Vista, and, YES.  Wonderful OS.  Doing fine.  MY COMPLAINT IS WITH WHAT YOU DID WITH OFFICE!!!  File my complaint as You REALLY screwed it up.  I uninstalled it, and went back to Office XP Pro.  (Compatibility Wizard works fine, BTW.  So does setting it up manually from right click > Properties...again Vista rocks!!.) Now, WHO and WHERE do I go and speak to to chew them a new one for mucking up a really good set of programs.

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:08 AM
  • Write a detailed letter and mail it to:

Microsoft Corporation

ATTN:  Complaint Dept.
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, WA 98052-6399
    USA

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Cool.  Thank you.  I'll pop a letter off to them.

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Evidently, your low-cost laptop computer does not have an adequate video adapter or RAM for gaming.  Your issues are more related to hardware deficiencies than the Vista operating system.

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Why should you have to right a detailed letter of complaints why not email using Outlook, Sorry that was replaced by an even worse piece of Junk software in Vista, Pen and paper probably the best.

Search in Vista is now painful, also.

I feel with Microsofts development Ford should bring back the Model T, once they can fill it with bugs so it doesn't ever work properly.

One day the party will be over for MS unless they change their thinking, Just hope the day comes quickly.

Signed another Happy Vista user, soon to be a non vista user. What a waste of money thanks Bill
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Like Bill, this will be my last Microsoft product. IE 7 is a nightmare, I spend way too much time closing down and restarting because of all the different errors when trying to work on the net.

Call support? You jest? Spending hours with someone on the phone who can barely speak English trying to muddle around finding a fix is not what I paid the big bucks for. Blaming things like addons, ie Flash. Who are they trying to kid. Try to surf the net without Flash these days.

Try to find answers on the Microsoft help system? That's only for those that have days to spend trying to find a fix for a problem. Vista stinks!!! All it takes is some time spent on the Web to find how many are still struggling with a system that does not perform.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:47 PM
  • I totally agree with you! Vista has been nothing but a let down.

Windows has totally lost its ways - it used to be about powerful programs like registry editor, group policy editor, and managing all those advanced settings.

Now here aremy problems with vista:

1. It forgets network passwords afteryou log off (even after checking "Remember my password") - so i have to store documents locally on the disk rather than on my file server Sad

2. It is incompatible with visual studio 6 enterprise edition

3. It looks horrible, even when classic theme is enabled because of the new icon design

4. there is no group policy editor in home premium - god knows about basic!

5. command prompt can not be enlarged to whole screen by pressing "Alt" and "Enter".

6. Only simplified file sharing is available

7. No matter what i do, no other computer can access the vista machine, even though password sharing is off.

8. the way it can not show a normal OS selection screen at bootup

9. it requires at least a gig of RAM to work, My dads vista machine has 2GB, but still terribly slow (had to wait nearly half a second for the start menu sometimes!)

10. I hate the fact that even though its the latest edition of windows, Windows 95 is by far better.

11. By default it has no software acceleration for hardware older than two years.

12. Its made windows lose that 90's feel to it, now its trying to be all friendly (i close noteepad on XP "do you want to save?" yes no, or cancel. On vista its "save, and don't save" ?!?! im not a lil kid!)

13. By default Have to confirm before running anything remotely interesting eg regedit, control panel, etc. Do they assume im thick or something, im offended.

i think that covers about quarter of my issues, oh ad one more.

14. I cant seem to make a complaint to microsoft!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:50 AM
  • WHEN A STUDENT LOOKS FOR THE VERSION OF MICROSOFT ON YOUR WEBSITE, WHY DOESN'T IT OFFER THE BEST EDUCATIONAL DEAL?  nOW i'M GOING TO HAVE TO SPEND ANOTHER 59 BUCKS TO GET THE SOFTWARE I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.  DO YOU GUYS SEE WHY END USERS THINK BADLY OF YOUR COMPANY?  DO YOU ACTUALLY CARE?

Dear Peter,

Thank you so much for staying in touch while you are so busy with your life and please take your time. Troubleshooting can be a tedious task and I don't want to spoil your good mood.

Before going any further, I'd like to say that the full verion Office Ultimate 2007 should cost $679.95 and what you mentioned $58.95 in the response might be the simplified version of Office Ultimate only for the college students. You should offer your student ID for that kind of license, which could only allow you to install Office product on one of your computers instead of three. I really appreciate your time and student. As an Office online Tech support engineer, I am afraid I am not the right resource to assist you on this product issue; you can directly contact our Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 for more details, who are experts in issues such as: replacement manuals, disks, service releases and service packs, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration; I think that they would be much more helpful.

For your current Office Home and Student 2007, if you have the product less than 45 days, you might return the Office product directly to us through our North American Product Refund program and then purchase the Office 2007 Standard full-file version. All North American retail Microsoft software comes with a 45-day, money back guarantee. Retail products can most easily be returned through:

1. The retailer where the product was purchased.

2. Directly to Microsoft via the following channel:

NOTE: Before you send the product package, please visit the Product Return Guidelines at http://www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm for the REQUIRED information.

Refund Help Desk:  1-888-673-8624

1-877-673-8889 (TTY Line)

SHIPPING ADDRESS FOR RETURNS in the United States:

Microsoft Product Returns Program

2031 Burroughs Ave.

San Leandro, CA 94577

All validated returns will be processed within 2-4 weeks once the product is received by the Return Center.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft again.

Andy Song

Online Support Professional

Microsoft Office Online Support

v-andyso@microsoft.com

From: Peter Alvarado [mailtoStick out tongueeteralvarado@comcast.net]
    Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:00 PM
    To: 'Peter Alvarado'; Andy Song (CS&S)
    Subject: RE: 1067727719 OFF2007: Installation Issue (Collect Information)

Why would I pay more for Outlook or Publisher when I can get the 2007 Office Ultimate for $58.95 on your website? I accepted the version of Office that your website offered me as a student for $159 plus.  Now I find out I can get better Office software for 1/3 of what I paid you.  If the purpose of Microsoft educational rates is to get students to use and value Microsoft products, with all due respect, you guys are failing.  I’m a grad student specializing in basic skills adult education.  I think my students and I will see what Apple has to offer.

Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:47 PM
    To: 'Andy Song (CS&S)'

Please CLOSE the ticket

Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:53 PM
    To: Peter Alvarado

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your response. Sorry for any inconvenience you have just experienced.

Before going any further, I'd like to say that Office Home and Student 2007 only contains four applications: Word 2007, Excel 2007, PowerPoint 2007 and OneNote 2007. Here we might have check whether all those 4 applications have been installed on the computer. If you would also use Outlook and Publisher, we have to purchase the following versions: Office Small Business 2007, Office Professional 2007 and Office Ultimate 2007. For more details, please refer to the following KB article.

2007 Microsoft Office system suites

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101635841033.aspx

If you need some additional information on the subject, please don’t hesitate to contact me again.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Andy Song

Online Support Professional

Microsoft Office Online Support

<v-andyso@microsoft.com>

Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:34 AM
    To: Andy Song (CS&S)

Dear Andy—

Thank you for your quick response.  The problem “seems” to be that Outlook, Publisher and the new search indexing did not install when I purchased the Office Home Version 2007 upgrade from Microsoft via Digital River ($179 approx).

I also purchased the Digital Lock Box re-download, but have no idea how to return to it as the Digital River site doesn’t seem to recognize my email or cc or order #. 

--Peter

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:14 AM
    To: peteralvarado@comcast.net
    Subject: 1067727719 OFF2007: Installation Issue (Collect Information)

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Microsoft Office and for using Microsoft Office Online Support. My name is Andy Song, and I will be assisting you with this service request. For your reference, the case ID is 1067727719.

We will work together on this issue throughout the course of this case. Before we go any further, I would like to make sure that I understand your concern clearly:

1.    Could you let me know more about your current situation? According to my experienced, Office Home and Student 2007 only has the full-file version, we might directly install the product on the computer instead of upgrading from Office 2000. For more details, please refer to the following KB article.

2007 Microsoft Office system pricing

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101754511033.aspx

2.    Could you please catch a screen shot while installing Office 2007, which might help me to know the case more clearly?

To capture the image, we can perform the steps below:

a.    Please reproduce the message, press the "Print screen" key on the keyboard. (The "print screen" key is located on the top row of keys, right beside the F12 key.)

b.    Go to the Start menu of Windows.

c.    Choose Start->Programs->Accessories->Paint.

d.    Press the two keys Ctrl and V simultaneously or in the "Edit" menu, point to "Paste", and click "OK" in the following dialog box.

e.    Click File in Paint, and then click "Save As" on this menu.

f.     Choose the location in the "Save in" box and choose "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" in the "Save as type" box.

g.    Click the Save button, and then please send the file to me.

Please perform the above steps, and update me with the results at your earliest convenience. If you need additional information on this issue, feel free to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Andy Song

Microsoft Office Setup/Outlook Team

Microsoft Product Support Services

v-andyso@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:55 PM
  •  I have bought a new computer recently with Vista on it. Printer, games, utility software - nothing worked. Lexmark told me to by a new printer, Bioware said 'sorry' and couldn't help. Not to mention the marathon time with Symantec trying to get Norton 360 version 2 to work!!!. The security within Vista,  annoying popups, and incompatibility issues are frustrating!!

In the end I spent £60 ($120) on eBay and got XP pro and installed it. Vista is a complete waste of time!

The question begs - If it isn't broke, WHY CHANGE IT?????

I can only hope the next operating system is more user friendly and compatible with hardware and software.

Before anything is said - I have a quad core, 8Gb of RAM, 512 Mb Nvidia 8800GT graphic card. I know it can run Vista without a hitch.
    Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:56 AM
  • Compatability is another Vista feature that does not work, even new software designed for Vista has not worked.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Amen
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Microsoft's tech support is the biggest joke in the industry and I would at least prefer to talk to an American idiot rather than an Indian idiot.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:23 PM
  • I too am an advanced user everything from DOS2.11 UP wINDOWS 3.0, 3.1 95, 98 98SE XP. vISTA SUCKS &COMPATIBILITY DID NOT WORK WITH OFFICE XP. I agree office 2007 is ruined. My next computer will be an Apple and I always hated Apple.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:28 PM
  • They don;t answer the Phone si why would they answer a letter.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Look i may only be an 11 year old boy but i know when something is a ripoff.i have only had my xbox 360 console for 1 week and it has already scratched my game disc.I am also complaining to the lack of respect for microsoft. you send us a letter to say that it was a paying customers fault for:

1.Moving the console when a game disc is in.  (well test studies have shown that normal house hold movements (i.e. the stuff that is on the guitar hero world tour television advertisement.) can scratch a disc.)

When will we jump around when a lie of a console is so expensive and yet so delicate.

So in conclusion i have gotten rid of all my micro soft products i have switched my computer to an apple macbook and my xbox to a nintendo wii and a ps3.It was the same price as an xbox elite so i coudn't resist.Thanks microsoft geeks thanks for making a little boy cry.

ps:Where is the complaint part of your ripoff of a website.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Hello a angry customer,

Please visit XBox support:  http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox/default.aspx
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:39 PM