Username and Passwords? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't use a username or password to log onto any of my computers. My family are all able to use any computer at will without the extra steps of a login every time. If a computer is booted it opens to desktop and go to work.

How do I make the connector work without a UName & PWord?

I've also noticed "issues" with the WHS install recognising Passwords correctly. On my WHS install I could not get past the UName & PWord page for several attempts. I was afraid of a typo I may have made and could not find a way to reset. After several reboots I was able to use the PWord that I had correctly typed on 1st attempt. Is there a know problem with UName & PWords?

Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:43 PM

Answers

• An easy way to still have some security but not inconvenience the rest of your family is to actually set a password, and then use the automatic login function built into both Windows XP and Vista. To access this, just to go start...run... and type
    control userpasswords2

From there, uncheck the box that says "user must enter a username and password to login".
    It will prompt you for the username and password you'd like to automatically login with, and then you're set!

Hope that helps...
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:21 PM

All replies

• I run three main computers on my network; my personal computer, my girlfriends personal computer and a Media Center PC.

Both the personal computers use username/passwords, so there was no problem with them at all, however the MCE Box does not have a password.

While setting up the WHS Connector on the MCE Box I originally tried setting a password then setting the server to use the MCE PC user password, as the password was blank it actually rejected this solution. I then just removed the MCE Boxes user from the WHS Console and setup a Guest user on WHS. It now backs up the MCE Box perfectly and allows me to access the shares I want.

As you don't use usernames/passwords for your family computers you could easily set the guest account to have read/write access as clearly security is not an issue for you.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:53 PM
  • An easy way to still have some security but not inconvenience the rest of your family is to actually set a password, and then use the automatic login function built into both Windows XP and Vista. To access this, just to go start...run... and type
    control userpasswords2

From there, uncheck the box that says "user must enter a username and password to login".
    It will prompt you for the username and password you'd like to automatically login with, and then you're set!

Hope that helps...
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Could not run "userpasswords2" but was able to find the option in TweekUI. After setting up a PW and AutoLogin all is good. My WHS icon in Systray went green. Thank You, Ron

Monday, March 5, 2007 3:18 PM
  • WOW, thank you for that tip! I had never noticed the checkbox before...

Kathy

Monday, March 5, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Ron,

You can't actually run "userpasswords2".  You have to run "control userpasswords2", as it's a function of control panel.  Sorry I didn't make that clearer the first time...

Monday, March 5, 2007 4:35 PM
  • control userpasswords2 also works on Windows Vista.  Just type it in the "Start Search" area and hit enter.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 3:58 PM
  • Does the control userpassword configuration change (automatic login) work when the computer is locked?

Specifically - I have a user account with no password setup on my Vista MCE machines for general use, but also have an administrator account setup to allow remote desktop connections to the machine for configuration/etc. I have configured the machine to automatically login to the "no password" user account. However, after I have disconnected the admin account  from remote desktop, the next time the user uses the TV, the login screen appears.

Since currently there is no password required, the user can log in simply by using the remote control and selected their user icon.

If I set a password on this account and set it to auto login - will remote desktop still work in the same way, or will this require a password?

On another related note - I assume that the WHS remote desktop functionality won't work to connect to a machine that has no password defined (ie one using the guest account as described above).

Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:48 PM
  •  

Do you mean WHS Remote access functionality (the one through the web)? If so, yes, it requires a user account with a strong password (min length = 7 and complexity required) set.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Has anyone had issues with being able to login with the built-in Guest account in WHS?  I have tried many times to login, using no password, RDP'ing to WHS and giving the account a password and i cannot login whatever I do.  I had the same issue with my personal account and had to delete and recreate the user account without deleting the shared folders, and thankfully I was able to recover my shared pictures.  I don't know if I can do the same for the Guest account, but would be interested in hear if anyone else has seen this issue with the Guest Account in Windows Home Server having Login difficulties??

I found that the Guest account doesn't show up as a valid user with the other users I have created (Vistors Group in WHS Photo WebShare) and checking the Server Event log doesn't show any sort of authentication for the Guest account, so I can't help but think without the Guest account registered as a valid user and granted authorization, no authentication is being done because the user has no Authorization to access the Photo Services.  Does this sound about right??

Question:  Would anyone know if it's possible to remove and recreate the Guest account, either through the WHS UI or backend Local Users & Groups area, so I can get the Guest account registered and authorized for use?

Thanks for your time

....Ryan

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:01 AM
  •  Ryanph wrote:
    Has anyone had issues with being able to login with the built-in Guest account in WHS?  I have tried many times to login, using no password, RDP'ing to WHS and giving the account a password and i cannot login whatever I do.

You can't use the Guest account to login to the server desktop.  It's only for the network shares.  The best way to use it is to enable it, but don't give it a password.  Then anyone in your LAN can have access to that share (as long as you change the permissions in the console).

Ryanph wrote:
    I had the same issue with my personal account and had to delete and recreate the user account without deleting the shared folders, and thankfully I was able to recover my shared pictures.

Correct, if you have your pictures in the Photos share, deleting a user will have no impact on them.

Ryanph wrote:
    I don't know if I can do the same for the Guest account, but would be interested in hear if anyone else has seen this issue with the Guest Account in Windows Home Server having Login difficulties??

I found that the Guest account doesn't show up as a valid user with the other users I have created (Vistors Group in WHS Photo WebShare)

There are no user-created groups in WHS (only users).  It sounds to me like you are going outside of the WHS console (and creating your own groups on the server using the WS2K3 tools, which can and most likely will cause problems).  Or is this an HP model?

Ryanph wrote:
    and checking the Server Event log doesn't show any sort of authentication for the Guest account, so I can't help but think without the Guest account registered as a valid user and granted authorization, no authentication is being done because the user has no Authorization to access the Photo Services.  Does this sound about right??

Question:  Would anyone know if it's possible to remove and recreate the Guest account, either through the WHS UI or backend Local Users & Groups area, so I can get the Guest account registered and authorized for use?

Thanks for your time

....Ryan

All that needs to be done is login to the console and enable it.  Then you have the option of giving it a password (which I didn't on mine).  Once you do that, anyone that has access to your LAN will have access to the shares you set up for the Guest account.

NOTE:  If you have a wireless network, make sure you have security enabled on it.  Otherwise anyone within range of your wireless router will have access to your files (if you don't use a password for the Guest account).

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:03 AM