Hard drive failed however full backup on mesh, how to download? RRS feed

• Question

• I lost 500mb of critical files, they were backed up the night before on windows mesh, however mesh only lets me download 1 file at a time, there are over 3000 files I need, how the hell do I download an entire folder at once?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:53 PM

Answers

• Install Live Mesh on the PC with the lost hard drive and add the PC to your Mesh. The Live Mesh folders will be presented to your "new" PC as available to Sync.
    Point the synchronized folders from the Mesh to your empty local folders on the "new" PC and the files should transfer over.
    I do want to comment, though - Live Mesh did not "backup" your data, it synchronized it to the Mesh - the Live Desktop and/or other devices in your Mesh. Aand if you don't have copies of the synchronized data backed up on another device, such as an external drive, you are risking the loss of your data. Live Mesh is a technical preview and problems can happen.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:04 PM

All replies

• Install Live Mesh on the PC with the lost hard drive and add the PC to your Mesh. The Live Mesh folders will be presented to your "new" PC as available to Sync.
    Point the synchronized folders from the Mesh to your empty local folders on the "new" PC and the files should transfer over.
    I do want to comment, though - Live Mesh did not "backup" your data, it synchronized it to the Mesh - the Live Desktop and/or other devices in your Mesh. Aand if you don't have copies of the synchronized data backed up on another device, such as an external drive, you are risking the loss of your data. Live Mesh is a technical preview and problems can happen.
    -steve
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:04 PM
  • I actually had another physical hard drive with a backup that also failed, I just happened to be testing out mesh and it has become my last resort. I tried what you suggested and it is slowly re downloading all the files, thanks a lot =)

Rolls
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:06 PM
  • As long as you do have that data physically backed up! I'd hate to see critical lost as a result of a Live Mesh glitch. And glad to read that you are seeing the data come down now.
    -steve
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:09 PM