Where can I view a detailed list of who logged onto my server and what they downloaded? RRS feed

• Question

• Where can I view a detailed list of who logged onto my server and what they downloaded?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:02 AM

Answers

• Did not try this one myself, but how about "WHS Web Logs"?

-Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Just about any web log analysis tool should be able to do this for you. The web logs are located in the usual location on your server. Note: accessing them is unsupported, but should be pretty harmless.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    there is not such a thing as a detailed list.
    But if you are ready to dig through endless deserts of text, you can check the IIS logfiles, which are located on the server in subfolders of C:\Windows\system32\logfiles.
    I think, there exist some tools to enhance the readability of this stuff, but just can't name any.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Just about any web log analysis tool should be able to do this for you. The web logs are located in the usual location on your server. Note: accessing them is unsupported, but should be pretty harmless.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:08 PM
  • I just want to see what user downloaded what file. Is there a simple way of doing this in WHS?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:54 PM
  • No. Windows Home Server doesn't make that information available in the Console.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:09 PM
  • I'm not looking for anything in the console since I log into the server as a console session. I'm curious if there is anywhere as I am not experienced with IIS.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:15 PM
  • You said "... simple way of doing this in WHS?" (emphasis added) WHS doesn't expose this information, so the answer is no.

For a more complex way outside of WHS, see my previous answer. The "usual place" referenced is C:\Windows\system32\Logfiles\w3svc2 (I think, or could be w3svc1). You'll need a log file analysis tool. (Complimentary Google search; the top hit is usually AWStats, which should be helpful...) You will have to spend some time learning how to use the tool you choose (or post in a forum for the tool) to be able to extract the information you're looking for. So it's not a "simple way of doing this" if you don't already know how to do what you're asking about.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Ok is that the only way anyone knows?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:07 PM
  • As far as I'm aware of, there's nothing out there to automate this task for you. Feel free to troll through the We Got Served add-in listings yourself, though.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:24 PM

• Did not try this one myself, but how about "WHS Web Logs"?

-Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:01 PM