Validation Tool Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Ok switched my PC on today and was told that my Windows XP Proffessional is not a genuine product after almost a year.

I have the COA in front of me - not going to post the product key though.  Why its doing this I don't know, it has been validated in the past when ever MS send through the updates though.

Can someone please help as I don't feel I should have to pay out AGAIN for something I already legitimately own

Having read through the forums here are my details for the software:

Product Type: Windows XP Proffessional - OEM Software

Contents of clipboard from Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (1.7.0066.0)
    Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-X9QRG-J4B2Y-GR2TT
    Windows Product Key Hash: e4v9dTiQqKvmnq/BmmK2cLi6jqE=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-2449187-23123
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {15738BE1-68CC-48AA-B6F5-0D9AC058578F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{15738BE1-68CC-48AA-B6F5-0D9AC058578F}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-GR2TT</PKey><PID>55274-640-2449187-23123</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-57989841-920026266-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GBT___</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F3</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060313000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>0BBA322701842076</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:01 PM

Answers

• Peter,

Sorry for taking a bit to reply. Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue.  We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install Windows XP Professional is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

If you want to keep Windows XP Pro installed on the computer, then your best option is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit. You will be emailed a Product Key that can be used immediately for your currently non- genuine installation of XP Pro, and then about 2-3 weeks later you will receive a genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro full retail CD and COA, which you can use to do a clean installation (recommended).

Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Peter,

The original diagnostic you provided us indicated you have XP Professional Volume version and is a blocked VLK. Do you have the original information as who you purchased this from? Please submit a piracy report using the information in my previous post.  Also please provide me directly with the information here and I will take a look at it also.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:43 PM

All replies

• Anyone? Please, I need to know what the problem is so that I can start to sort this out.

Thanks

Peter_W77

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:12 PM
  • Are there any MS forum admins who can help with my query please?

Thanks

Peter_W77
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:18 PM
  • Ok, this is the third day of my problem.

Can anyone, anyone at all please assist with this?

Thanks

Peter_W77
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:33 PM
  • EDIT for Double Post
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:56 PM
  • Peter,

Sorry for taking a bit to reply. Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue.  We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install Windows XP Professional is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

If you want to keep Windows XP Pro installed on the computer, then your best option is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit. You will be emailed a Product Key that can be used immediately for your currently non- genuine installation of XP Pro, and then about 2-3 weeks later you will receive a genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro full retail CD and COA, which you can use to do a clean installation (recommended).

Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Thanks Stephen for your reply.

A few things though.

I am assuming that Windows Product Key: *****-*****-X9QRG-J4B2Y-GR2TT represents a portion of my actual product key on the label that came with the disc/booklet I recieved when I purchased it.

Unfortunately this doesn't match the corresponding key on the label I have, I can email you a picture to show you the difference if you like.  Can you let me know if this would change after I had entered the one I have and if so when it would have changed/

Also I purchased this from ebay, but I can't see anything I bought more than 60 days ago due to their system so I am going to contact them to see if they can provide me with the sellers details for this item.

Can you let me know the company/school details that the licence comes from so that once I get the sellers details I can pass that on to them to let them know that someone is selling off their goods who maybe working for them.

Again can you let me know about the produc key difference situation please.

I am also checking trading standards (in the UK) to see what recourse I have over this purchase as I now feel I was mislead over / mis-sold  this item.

thanks

Peter_W77

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:20 PM
  • Can someone please help with my second round of requests please, I would like to get this sorted soon.

Peter_W77
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:41 AM
  • Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Peter,

The product X9QRG-J4B2Y-GR2TT was provided by the MGA Diagnostic Tool you ran for us. Curious is this product on a Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) sticker located on the computer? Is this computer a customer built system or a commerical built computer? It appears there are two product keys you have one that you received from the purchase and then the COA sticker on your system.  Use the key changer Carey provided and let us know if this works. Still there is a strong possibility you may have been sold non-genuine copy of windows.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:16 PM
  • Thanks for the replies (Carey & Stephen).

I tried the tool that Carey directed me too, no joy there either.  The message I get is that the product keu is not valid for this system. Please check it for typing errors and try again.

The code I have is what came with the cd that I purchased from Ebay from a seller.  The description for this item stated that it was unregistered and was a sealed item.

It arrived, sealed and everything up until last week seem ok.

Like I have stated previously the  items details are older than 60 days so I can't retrieve them easily from my Ebay account details.

The system is one that I've built from bits that I have had and bought so I know that eveything hardware wise is mine and then the OS is the item I bought from Ebay.

Thanks for your assistance.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Research has indicated that over 50% of the software sold on auction web sites, such as eBay, is actually counterfeit.

The package you purchased may look authentic, but counterfeiters are very slick at producing high-quality looking CDs and packaging.

How to Tell: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Thanks for that Carey,

I've checked and it looks as though my software is valid and the stick when you check it is the same as the arched type COA  in the examples of the authentic stickers.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Is the Product Key shown on the COA for Windows XP Professional or is it for Windows XP Home Edition?

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Windows Xp Professional OEM Software

Thanks
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:21 PM
  • If you indeed installed your copy of Windows XP Professional that you purchased on eBay, then it appears it is counterfeit as your MGA Diagnostic report shows that it is not an OEM version, but a "Volume License" version.  This is a trick used by counterfeiters since Volume Licenses due not require Product Activation.  Counterfeiter's will burn a Volume License copy (sold legally only to companies or organizations) and then label it as "OEM", clearly illegal and misrepresenting the software.

I would recommend that you take advantage of the Windows Genuine Advantage Offer and order the WGA Kit.  You will receive a genuine Windows XP Professional Product Key and a genuine Windows XP Professional CD will be mailed to you.

Visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on Validate Windows.  When validation fails, follow the prompts for instructions (Get Genuine) to acquire a WGA Kit.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Peter,

The original diagnostic you provided us indicated you have XP Professional Volume version and is a blocked VLK. Do you have the original information as who you purchased this from? Please submit a piracy report using the information in my previous post.  Also please provide me directly with the information here and I will take a look at it also.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:43 PM
  •  

I have the exact same problem. I also purchased a windows xp professional cd from ebay last year. and I recently had to format . After I installed it I got the validation error also with 2 seperate product keys as well. I contacted microsoft over the phone and they told me the key i gave them is a valid OEM key but WGA states it as a blocked VLK

WGA Data-->
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-2449187-23059
    ID: {66629966-944A-460B-8678-B2EBFC47E213}(3)

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{66629966-944A-460B-8678-B2EBFC47E213}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-GR2TT</PKey><PID>55274-640-2449187-23059</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1229272821-1060284298-842925246</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Presario                       </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686C3</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010418000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2F5637A701846056</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Thanks for the response but until I can get the item information on ebay there is nothing much else I can do.  Thanks for all your help ans time spent on this.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:24 PM
  •  Striker_The_Waya wrote:

I have the exact same problem. I also purchased a windows xp professional cd from ebay last year. and I recently had to format . After I installed it I got the validation error also with 2 seperate product keys as well. I contacted microsoft over the phone and they told me the key i gave them is a valid OEM key but WGA states it as a blocked VLK

WGA Data-->
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-2449187-23059
    ID: {66629966-944A-460B-8678-B2EBFC47E213}(3)

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{66629966-944A-460B-8678-B2EBFC47E213}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-GR2TT</PKey><PID>55274-640-2449187-23059</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1229272821-1060284298-842925246</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Presario                       </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686C3</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010418000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2F5637A701846056</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Use the Windows Product Key Update Tool with your OEM Product Key.  Then visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on Validate Windows.  Then rerun  MGA Diagnostic and post the results to this thread.

Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:31 PM
  • thanks for the response .

Like peter mentioned I tried the update key tool and it errored stating the key i put in didnt match the key on the cd. it has the hologram just like real cd and it even came in a real xp professional box that was sealed.  the results i showed you are the results after i ran the product key update tool.

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:07 AM