SyncToy Not syncing... RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7x64, and have the latest and correct version of Syntoy installed.

I set up a folder pair where the left folder was on one of my HDDs and the right folder on the other, originally as 'ECHO'.

The first time I sync'd it was fine - copied everything over.

Now it doesn't pick up the new files (and there are plenty of them) and copy them across.  I tried changing the sync mode to no avail.

I sort of have the feeling it's something blindingly obvious - so blinding I can't see it!

Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:03 AM

All replies

• SyncToy has a bug, that if you set a folder pair to Echo when you first set it up, it doesn't echo properly. For many if not all users it does not pick up moves and deletions in the left folder, which means that junk accumulates in the right folder, making it useless for backing up. Yours sounds a bit different, in that it does seem to normally reflect new files.

I would recommend that you (i) delete your folder pair, (ii) re-establish the folder pair and set to Synchronize before running it, (iii) after running change the action to Echo, (iv) make a change in the left folder, run it and check it is working. Good luck!
    • Proposed as answer by jonrichco1 Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:40 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:39 PM
  • When I delete the folder pair there is no danger of it deleting the LH folder and contents?  Am nervous as that's a rather important folder!
    • Proposed as answer by jonrichco1 Monday, February 15, 2010 12:55 PM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I certainly did not mean to propose Cats Five's post as an answer. I was trying to respond to his question. Answer to that is that there no danger in deleting a folder pair. This only deletes the dat files not the folder(s) themselves.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:58 PM
  • I intend to use Echo to backup my music library folder, just to be clear - there is no danger of my original files being deleted if I first have to run a Synchronize, correct?

How does it know that the files on the left will be new and need to be copied over, and not that all the files on the right were deleted so all the ones on the left should be deleted too?

Will there be a new update soon to fix these bugs?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Hi - The other way to do this would be to start out with an empty right hand side folder ( assuming everything you need is on the left). Then use SyncToy to copy the files to the right by using the "Echo" option ( not copying using Explorer). After that all changes on the left will correctly be updated on the right. Thanks Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:15 PM