none
Unable to remote access WHS RRS feed

• Question

• We just moved to another country and just finished setting up my home server, I am using the same router i used with the server before but of course I have a different ISP and modem. All network works fine, the only thing is that I am unable to remote access the server and I can not connect to my remote website via the internet (I can connect locally to my remote website).

Any suggestions?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:50 AM

All replies

• What ISP, and what make & model of modem?

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:05 AM
  • ISP is APUA (Antigua Public Utilities Authority)

Modem Brand: Thomson
    Model: SpeedTouch 546 v6

It has a sticker with all the other info like; S/N, Mac and Modem access code
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Your problem is that you're double-NAT'ted - your "modem" is actually a residential gateway (modem/router.)
    Best course of action is to put the modem into what's called Bridge mode.  This will reduce it to a true, simple modem, and allow your router to do its job.
    That particular modem, though, looks to be not the easiest to do this on.  This looks like a good how-to.  More info can be found by Googling for SpeedTouch 546 v6 bridge mode.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Chris,
    Thank you for your help..........but this seems to very complicated to me, I have other questions, the server is connected to the linksys wireless router by a cable, I only use the wireless router for my laptops.
    1)Does it make a difference if I connect the server directly to the SpeedTouch?
    2) will the serverbe able to configure the SpeedTouch to use remote access?
    3)will my laptops (wireless connected through the Linksys connect to the server?
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Chris,
    Thank you for your help..........but this seems to very complicated to me, I have other questions, the server is connected to the linksys wireless router by a cable, I only use the wireless router for my laptops.
    1)Does it make a difference if I connect the server directly to the SpeedTouch?

Yes.  Don't do it. :)

2) will the serverbe able to configure the SpeedTouch to use remote access?

Don't worry about it.  Once you do what he says, it won't matter.

3)will my laptops (wireless connected through the Linksys connect to the server?

If you follow his suggestion, yes.  The problem, in essence, is you have 2 devices acting as routers (your router and your modem).  If you disable the router ability in your modem (which is what he suggested by putting your modem in Bridge mode), then you will only have 1 router to contend with (your Linksys).  At that point, all of your network devices will need to connect to your Linksys router (either wired or wireless).
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Kariya,

Will you be willing to walk me through the process to bridge the modem step by step, I do not feel comfortable enough to do this on my own.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Kariya,

Will you be willing to walk me through the process to bridge the modem step by step, I do not feel comfortable enough to do this on my own.

I don't know the specifics of your modem/router.  You should either contact your ISP or the modem manufacturer for detailed instructions.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:28 PM