none
Need to sort and display lots of text

Question

• First off, I'm a total newbie at programming, so sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

I need to sort and display a lot of text based on previous user input.  Probably 100-150 lines out of a potential 1000 or so (with embedded variables and calculations).  I've been using a richtextbox and a bunch of if...then.... richtextbox.text=richtextbox.text+.... during the form load event.   At about half way through the list, it just quits adding lines. 

Are there limits to the form load event or to the richtextbox that can be changed?  Is there a way to move rich text with a function or variable (is it just a string?) ?  Or am i just going about this whole thing in the wrong way?

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:59 PM

Answers

• Assuming you are talking about the Winforms version of RichTextBox, you should have no problem holding 1000 lines of text inside an instance of this class.

If you are having difficulty programming with this class and that it "just quits adding lines", then I suspect you have buggy code, or you are misusing this class. It's hard to say since you haven't shown any code, and it's not clear what "if..then" logic you are using.

Moreover, you are asking in the wrong forum. If you are using C#, you should post this question, along with some code fragments so we can see what your logic is, in the C# forum.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:40 PM

All replies

• Assuming you are talking about the Winforms version of RichTextBox, you should have no problem holding 1000 lines of text inside an instance of this class.

If you are having difficulty programming with this class and that it "just quits adding lines", then I suspect you have buggy code, or you are misusing this class. It's hard to say since you haven't shown any code, and it's not clear what "if..then" logic you are using.

Moreover, you are asking in the wrong forum. If you are using C#, you should post this question, along with some code fragments so we can see what your logic is, in the C# forum.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:40 PM
  • Thanks for Brain Muth's reply.

Hi  jessecall,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Please tell us which language you are using, which can let me help you move your thread to applicable forum for a better help.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:54 AM