Pinball FX arriving on Xbox Live Arcade RRS feed

• Question

• The link between video games and pinball has a long and glorious history, and it is still very much alive. Tomorrow its latest iteration, Pinball FX, hits Xbox Live Arcade. Pinball FX aims to be more than just a pinball game though – evidently succumbing to Microsoft’s insistent badgering for online play, Pinball FX enables simultaneous multiplayer action for up to 4 players at a time.

You get three tables to play on, which seems a bit measly but that will probably depend on the amount of features each offers. Uniquely, owners of the Xbox 360 Live Vision Camera will be able to use gesture controls for the flippers. My advice would be don’t – the gesture system is a pretty dodgy control system and leaves you looking like a real tool. Don’t believe me? Go watch someone playing Totemball.

Pinball FX seems like a lot better idea than continually rehashing ancient arcade games that really haven’t aged too well. It’s a classic genre as pinball games go way back into the history of computing; from the first machines in the 70s that used a microprocessor, to early Apple machines and Commodore 64s. I can remember a time when my computer was filled with pinball games (luckily, I soon discovered Wolfenstein), but interestingly none have ever came close to matching the real thing.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:00 PM