Remove server from enterprise pool? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

For various reasons I need to remove a server from our OCS 2k7 R2 enterprise pool.

This server was the first in our pool and when it broke down I added a second server that has all the roles the first one had (the services wont even start on the first one any more).

In other deployments I've just uninstalled the various server roles with Add/Remove Programs but that seemed to leave unwanted data in the AD (I ignored the warnings).

Now though when trying to deactive the server roles on the first server I get the feeling that it will affect the functionality of the entire pool) especially when deactivating the Web Components role).

This Technet article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb936625.aspx) instructs me to just uninstall the server roles through Add/Remove Programs though.

Am I missing something? Should I just go ahead and uninstall the roles w/o deactivating them om the server in the OCS management interface?

Thanks!
    Friday, April 17, 2009 2:34 PM

All replies

• Take a look at this blog article for tips on cleaning out the old server information from AD:
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=13

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, April 17, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Hi Jeff.

I've read that one and I don't feel that it applies.

As I mention in my post I still have a valid installation as far as the pool knows, just that services on one server isn't starting due to mismatched account settings that I can't fix.

I just need to know what the best practice to remove a server from an enterprise pool is.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Has anyone got any more info on this? I really need to clean up our OCS installation.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:46 AM
  • Hi Martin,

From my experience to remove a FE from a pool ensure you deactivate all your OCS services on the server, this should remove the server from the pool. If you have a consolidated topology some of the services will need deactivating before others. The FE server will be of course last to deactivate. Once the FE service is removed the server should no longer be in the pool. In an enterprise pool with multiple front ends it would be best to remove the front end from the load balancer first so that no traffic will be passed to the server you are about to remove. Best to do this in your off business hours to avoid users issues. Then deactivate the server roles one at a time. Once you have done that you can remove all OCS components from add/remove programs. Again this means doing some components before others. Core components last. you may even need to remove the OCS admin tools before the core components as well. The good thing here is if you make a mistake it should let you know that other components need to go first and it wont just screw you over. Once removed in this fashion the other front ends should continue on no worries. When you go to rebuild your server add the server into the loadbalancer last after you complete the install of software and activation.

hope this helps.

Cheers
    Chris
    http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by VoIPnorm Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:35 PM

• See if this blog post helps:

Uninstall Office Communications Server 2007 R2

Please do let us know. Thanks.
    http://www.leedesmond.com
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Some great information here.  I have one caveat that I'm hoping someone can help with.  We originally had a standard edition pool for evaluation/testing.  We now have an EE Consolidated pool in production.  I need to remove the standard edition pool.  However, both pools are using the same AD accounts (RTCComponentService, RTCService). 

The dialog in the Deactivation wizard is a little concerning, as it states that "This procedure removes OCS service account and other settings.  AD settings are also removed if applicable.."  Since I'm using the same accounts to run both pools, will deactivating my standard pool affect my EE pool? 

-Kevin

Friday, August 7, 2009 12:54 PM