locked
Strang error messages "Input String Was Not In A Correct Format" RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm running the beta on my home server (HP mediasmart).  After updating to the beta, I clicked check for updates in the "HP MediaSmart software updates" section, it seemed to find one and I hit "Install".  The install didnt' go right... I can't remember the exact details, but I let it sit for hours and it never completed... If I recall, I couldn't even close the console while I was remote desktop'ed into the server.  I couldn't shut it down or anything.  After a few hours I hit the power button on the back of the server, and it powered down gracefully.  After powering back up everything seems to be working correctly and I've had no issues, except for sometimes when I launch the Home Server Console (whether on a remote PC or on the server itself) I get an error that you can see in this link:

    http://www.stranik.net/stuff/screen1.jpg

    If I close that console attempt it usually works on the second try.  But then I get odd XX/XX/XX for the last update under the software updates. See this link:

    http://www.stranik.net/stuff/screen2.jpg

    How do I fix this?


    Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:01 PM

All replies

  •  

    Hi!

     

    It seems that the configuration file for the MediaSmart Updater got corrupted, I guess it's the date of the last update that can't be read (therefore the "Input string was not in a correct format" error).

     

    You could try to remote desktop into the server and delete the config-file or enter an imaginary date for the "last update" entry. Unfortunately I don't own a MediaSmart Server so I can't tell you which file it is.

     

    Regards, Alex

    Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:11 PM
  • If you haven't done so already, you should follow the details in Ken's Post and submit an error report.

    I have seen mentioned, that HP intend waiting for the official release of PP1, before providing it as an update for their servers.

     

    Colin 

     

    Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Yeah, I tried submitting a bug but it said the servers are having maintenance today.  I listened in to the recent home server webcast and it was mentioned that HP had released an update temporarily that had bugs and then pulled it and will wait until RC1 is finalized before releasing it again.  I guess I got bug-bit but I'm wondering if it has repercussions.  If you'll notice in the second screenshot, the 'Install' link is active like it has an update downloaded, but hitting install does nothing.  Strange.

     

    Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Ok, I submitted Bug #354191 on the subject. 
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Hello all,

    I got the following response from the bug submission:

    Hello and sorry for any hassle. At this time HP is working on compatibility between HP Update and PP1 and will release a new version of the HP update to correspond to the final version of Microsoft’s Power Pack 1. This should help resolve this issue when the update is released.

    Sorry for any current inconvenience,
    Windows Home Server Team


    I Guess that means it's a known issue and will be fixed once PP1 goes final.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  

    I have a HP windows Server and to my knowledge I am not running any beta software on the server and I am getting the exact same error message when I go into my server console.  Also the server keeps telling me that my hard disk is bad. If I restart the server the hard disk error goes away.

     

    the error message is

     

     

    input string was not in a correct format.

     

    at system.Number.stringToNumber(string,str numberStyles options, number Buffer&number, NumberFormatInfo Info,

    Boolean ParseDecimal)

    at System.Number.ParseInt64(string value, Number style options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)

    at HPConfiguration.IniFile.getLong(Strng key Int64 defaultVal)

    at MediaSmartUpdate.MediaSmartUpdater.Getiniconfig ()

    at MediaSmartUpdate.MediaSmaetUpdater.getsettingValues()

    at

    Microsft.HomeServer.HomeServerComsoleTab.HPSU

    with a Big OK button.

    Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:01 AM
  •  drlazor wrote:
    I have a HP windows Server and to my knowledge I am not running any beta software on the server and I am getting the exact same error message when I go into my server console.  Also the server keeps telling me that my hard disk is bad. If I restart the server the hard disk error goes away.

     

    I wouldn't ignore that bad hard drive message (especially if it keeps coming back).  You should start looking for another hard drive to replace it (or, if it's still under warranty from HP, contact them).

     

     drlazor wrote:
    the error message is

     

     

    input string was not in a correct format.

     

    at system.Number.stringToNumber(string,str numberStyles options, number Buffer&number, NumberFormatInfo Info,

    Boolean ParseDecimal)

    at System.Number.ParseInt64(string value, Number style options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)

    at HPConfiguration.IniFile.getLong(Strng key Int64 defaultVal)

    at MediaSmartUpdate.MediaSmartUpdater.Getiniconfig ()

    at MediaSmartUpdate.MediaSmaetUpdater.getsettingValues()

    at

    Microsft.HomeServer.HomeServerComsoleTab.HPSU

    with a Big OK button.

    Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:29 AM
    Moderator
  •  

    I have PP1 and the offical HP update installed.  At first it did seem to resolve the problem and the "last update" in the ui actually showed the date/time that I installed the hp update.  After a reboot or two the problem came back though.  This does not appear to be fixed.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:09 PM
  • I agree, still not fixed... I've uninstalled the beta, installed the final PP1 version and tried to get HP udpates and still can't.  Can we get an official answer on this?
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:52 PM
  •  EskimoPie wrote:
    I agree, still not fixed... I've uninstalled the beta, installed the final PP1 version and tried to get HP udpates and still can't.  Can we get an official answer on this?

     

    Not an "official" answer, but I believe you need to install the HP update first, then the MS update (PP1) afterwards.  However, if you want an official answer, you might want to check the HP forums (since it's their update you're having a problem with).

    Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:24 PM
    Moderator
  •  kariya21 wrote:
    Not an "official" answer, but I believe you need to install the HP update first, then the MS update (PP1) afterwards.  However, if you want an official answer, you might want to check the HP forums (since it's their update you're having a problem with).
    Other way around, actually. But at least some users that have installed the HP update first have still been able to install PP1 afterward without problems.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:07 AM
    Moderator
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Other way around, actually. But at least some users that have installed the HP update first have still been able to install PP1 afterward without problems.

     

    Thanks for the clarification, Ken!  (I guess I need to hook up my new MSS and start tinkering with it. Wink  )

    Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:14 AM
    Moderator