Planning to scale out an existing CRM 2012 Implementation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to divide an existing CRM 2011 implementation to two servers:

• Frontend web server
    • Backend web server for asynchronous and sandbox.

My plan is to join a new backend server to my CRM implementation by connecting the setup process to an existing MCRM_CONFIG
    database and just select the backend options.

Once I add the new CRM backend server, then I can uninstall backend roles from the existing  CRM server and make I front-end server only.

Is this the right way of achiving what I need to do? Is there any SIGNIFICANT risk associated to this plan?

A link to an online article would be a great help.

Thank you,

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:23 PM

Answers

• Hi amx2012,

You are right in your post, you can join a new backend server and uninstall the roles on the existing backend server.

I have done this before and didn't find any issues. What I would recommend is:

1. Install the new standalone CRM backend server
    2. Stop the Asynch and sandbox services on your other server
    3. Run a few workflows from the CRM 2011 and make sure they are processed

This will tell you the new backend is correctly configured and picking up processes.

An important note, you can only do this if you have an enterprise CRM license.

Hope this helps

Regards

Nuno

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by amx2012 Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:49 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:21 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I never heard and read uninstalling backend roles from existing CRM server.

I couldnt find any blogs and its not also included in installation document of CRM2011.

so its not possible. You need to uninstall the CRM2011 completely from the server  then again you need to install frontend and backend servers in different servers using the existing MSCRM_CONFIG.

Regards,

Khaja Mohiddin
    http://www.dynamicsexchange.com
    http://about.me/KhajaMohiddin

• Proposed as answer by Khaja Mohiddin Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:19 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi amx2012,

You are right in your post, you can join a new backend server and uninstall the roles on the existing backend server.

I have done this before and didn't find any issues. What I would recommend is:

1. Install the new standalone CRM backend server
    2. Stop the Asynch and sandbox services on your other server
    3. Run a few workflows from the CRM 2011 and make sure they are processed

This will tell you the new backend is correctly configured and picking up processes.

An important note, you can only do this if you have an enterprise CRM license.

Hope this helps

Regards

Nuno

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by amx2012 Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:49 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:21 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Nuno,

we have the same requirement, but we won't uninstall the back-end part on the "original" full CRM Server. we would like only to stop the 2 async services and the sandbox.

No problem for the async. All seems to run. Not the same thing with the sandbox service. if we stop it on the full server and we start it on the BE server, the plugin doesn't run.

<Message>The plug-in execution failed because no Sandbox Hosts are currently available. Please check that you have a Sandbox server configured and that it is running.
    System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #03D60F06</Message>

in your experience: is it possible NOT to uninstall the back-end part from the full server?

in a multi-server environment can you have many back-end? MS says that it is best practise not to run many async but nothing is written about the sandbox/es. (or so appears to me)

Thank you very much.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Hi Paolo,

Were you able to resolve the issue with the Sandbox service running on a separate server than the App Server? We are having the same issue where the other 3 services work fine on the Async Server but the Sandbox service throws the error that you've mentioned.

Thanks

Ashwin

Thursday, July 3, 2014 5:58 PM