none
Opposing Stats in reporting methods

Question

• Can anyone explain why the stats are reported differently between the two reporting methods in the image below? The upper portion is what shows when you click on your profile. The lower portion is displayed when you search for Forum Users. Specifically the differences are in the number of Posts and the number of answers.

I would venture a guess that the differences are

1. in # of POSTS/REPLIES is that the number of replies does not include the original questions asked by the user
    2. in # of Answers are because of the original posters answers not included in the profile

Will someone please confirm this?

Thank you for your time!!!

Chris Ward

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:12 PM

Answers

• I can confirm that I see a similar difference in my statistics. Your theory seems good to me. I have always assumed, for example, that threads where we mark our own replies as the Answer do not count toward achievements. So there must be a difference in the meta data, and perhaps that accounts for the differences we see.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:44 PM

All replies

• I can confirm that I see a similar difference in my statistics. Your theory seems good to me. I have always assumed, for example, that threads where we mark our own replies as the Answer do not count toward achievements. So there must be a difference in the meta data, and perhaps that accounts for the differences we see.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Hmm, interesting.

I'm also seeing a difference, but I'm not sure about the self marking idea. I've never marked a post of my own as an answer, so perhaps the post/answer count on the search page are only updated on a 48/72 hour range.

Profile: 913 answers / 3705 posts

Search page: 889 answers / 3636 posts

EDIT: Interesting again. In the screenshot above, your search results show higher numbers, whereas mine shows lower. That might shoot down my idea.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,420+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hmm, interesting.

I'm also seeing a difference, but I'm not sure about the self marking idea. I've never marked a post of my own as an answer, so perhaps the post/answer count on the search page are only updated on a 48/72 hour range.

Profile: 913 answers / 3705 posts

Search page: 889 answers / 3636 posts

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,420+ strong and growing)

Well that would mean in the last 72 hours I've answered 62 questions that haven't shown up yet. I don't think I answer that many in a month. I guess it could be a month behind.

Another thought on the count of answers could be that only the first post marked as answer in a thread count. Or maybe that posts marked as answer other than the OP don't count.

But none of that explains the number of posts. Maybe posts that have been marked as abusive??? I don't think any of mine are marked that way?

I also noticed I used to have MCC status but since the change it disappeared and I don't seem to earn any medals either. Not that those really matter but it is kind of nice to know how much help one has been to others.

Chris Ward

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:57 PM
  • As an update, the numbers in the search view do appear to be changing, but are still definitely behind (in my case):

Profile: 924 answers / 3745 posts

Search page: 901 answers / 3683 posts

The difference between these values is also different from yesterday. Yesterday the search page was showing -24 answers and -69 posts and today it is -23 answers and -62 posts.

I still have no idea why this difference is appearing, but at least now we know that these values change on a daily basis.

EDIT: Okay, this is odd. I just had a post marked as an answer, so I figured I'd check the search page to see if it updates in realtime. It's different now, but not by +1... Now I'm seeing an answer count of 904 and a post count of 3687. I'm at a loss here.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:03 PM
  • An additional thought,

Perhaps when a user has multiple posts in one thread marked as answer, only the first one is counted. That wouldn't be fair if you gave multiple correct solutions. I hope this thought is wrong.

Chris Ward

Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:43 PM