MCSA or the new MCT cert? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone
    I have been working in the IT industry as a junior network admin for the past six months.
    I have recently finish studying 70-290 and will write this exam soon.
    Right now i am debating if it is worth getting the rest of the certs for my MCSA for win2k3
    or should I just move on to the new server 2008 certificates after im done 70-290.
    Thanks for the advice :D
    Friday, July 4, 2008 10:43 PM

Answers

• Here is my advice and take on your situation: Finish what you start. The MCTS and MCITP certifications for Windows 2008 will be around for a while. While there has been no official date release from Microsoft concerning the retirement of the Windows 2003 exams, I believe you will have plenty of time to achieve the MSCA 2003 certification. Like every new technology that has been released, many companies will not rush out to upgrade immediately.

To be honest with you, I think you are in a good position here. Continue with your studies in the Windows 2003 environment. This will also provide you with a solid foundation when "upgrade" your knowledge to 2008.

Stay the course.
    Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+ www.theitclassroom.com
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 12:07 AM
  • To add to Michael's response. Many businesses are not early adopters so you don't have as much pressure on you to jump to Server 2008 just yet, which is why staying with the Server 2003 is a good choice and upgrade later as he put it.

But on the other hand it is worthy or mentioning the same thing. Many business are not early adopters, however those who are will be and are currently on the lookout for individuals with current knowledge of infrastructure and technology. Proving ones skills early on does show your willingness to move forward and stay as current as possible. Also certifying early tells people you aren't afraid of the ever changing climate of the Information Technology Field. So it really comes down to ones motivation more than anything else. What drives you to certification? Answer that and I think you'll know what to do.

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:05 PM
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:04 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Here is my advice and take on your situation: Finish what you start. The MCTS and MCITP certifications for Windows 2008 will be around for a while. While there has been no official date release from Microsoft concerning the retirement of the Windows 2003 exams, I believe you will have plenty of time to achieve the MSCA 2003 certification. Like every new technology that has been released, many companies will not rush out to upgrade immediately.

To be honest with you, I think you are in a good position here. Continue with your studies in the Windows 2003 environment. This will also provide you with a solid foundation when "upgrade" your knowledge to 2008.

Stay the course.
    Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+ www.theitclassroom.com
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 12:07 AM
  • To add to Michael's response. Many businesses are not early adopters so you don't have as much pressure on you to jump to Server 2008 just yet, which is why staying with the Server 2003 is a good choice and upgrade later as he put it.

But on the other hand it is worthy or mentioning the same thing. Many business are not early adopters, however those who are will be and are currently on the lookout for individuals with current knowledge of infrastructure and technology. Proving ones skills early on does show your willingness to move forward and stay as current as possible. Also certifying early tells people you aren't afraid of the ever changing climate of the Information Technology Field. So it really comes down to ones motivation more than anything else. What drives you to certification? Answer that and I think you'll know what to do.

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:05 PM
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:04 PM
    Answerer