Printing - Windows XP clients showing Failed to Open, Retrying when connecting to one side of a Windows 2008 R2 cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm experiencing issues when connecting my Windows XP x86 (SP3) client to one half of my active/passive Windows 2008 R2 print cluster.  When the print cluster is running on node one, the XP clients can connect and print no problem, when running on node two we see the following error when attaching to the Windows print queue  'Failed to Open, Retrying'. 

I can confirm that Windows 7 x86 clients connect to both sides of the cluster (and can print) with no problems.

I have carried out some troubleshooting from my XP machine and this is what I get/see:

Create a local printer on each of the cluster nodes and share out the printers:

On the node that works (node 1), I can browse to the print cluster name and see the shared printers; I can also do this on the node that doesn’t work (node 2).  The difference is when I click on ‘printers and faxes’ via the share (\\servername\printers and faxes), the node that works displays all shared printers, the node that doesn’t work displays a blank page.....  I’m sure if i get this resolved on node two then the print cluster will work on both nodes.

I can confirm that all printer drivers on both nodes are the same.

All ideas welcome.

Friday, May 20, 2011 11:08 AM

Answers

• Dear Customer,

I'm sorry you have a wrong place posted. This forum is used to post questions about the Microsoft Fix it Center automated troubleshooting tool. Could you please post your issue to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us that you can get the right solution soon, thanks for your understanding.

Please Mark as Answered If this is helpful Or Un-Mark as Answered if it is not helpful.

Best Regards,
    Alex

• Marked as answer by Fafafaalex Monday, May 30, 2011 7:07 AM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:07 AM