none
Removed answer and locked post RRS feed

Answers

• Here is the text of the reason I gave when deleting this post.

"proposes own post; contains an advert; reply to an old thread. Take your pick for the delete reason"

The thread had already two posts marked as answers in May *2010* and thus had been closed for just over a year.

I therefore locked the thread as answered to the original user's satisfaction.

(Locks on threads also stop people adding new questions or even questions/comments on off-topic (SP 2010) products to them. I only lock when a) the OP has said that his question has been answered or marked a post as an answer or b) when the thread was marked as answered by someone else so much earlier that the OP can said to be (by default) happy with the answer received. This (b) was the case here [later: actually (a) 2 posts were marked by the OP] - I only see these old threads when someone revives them which is why they are locked then and not before. It would be useful if answered threads were locked automatically after say six months to avoid the need for this)

Mike Walsh (Moderator pre-SP 2010 forums)

P.S. If there is new information in the reviving post I generally leave it in place. Here you had proposed your own post which would have required me to remove the proposal and to write some text asking you not to do this again and also there was a serious doubt as to whether the old thread had only been revived so that you could plug your own product. Hence the delete in this case. [Moderation takes me quite enough hours per day without me needing to find e-mail addresses and send personal e-mail to justify my actions.]

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:50 PM Later [] added.
    • Marked as answer by Stuart Pegg Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:56 PM
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 11:46 AM

All replies

• Here is the text of the reason I gave when deleting this post.

"proposes own post; contains an advert; reply to an old thread. Take your pick for the delete reason"

The thread had already two posts marked as answers in May *2010* and thus had been closed for just over a year.

I therefore locked the thread as answered to the original user's satisfaction.

(Locks on threads also stop people adding new questions or even questions/comments on off-topic (SP 2010) products to them. I only lock when a) the OP has said that his question has been answered or marked a post as an answer or b) when the thread was marked as answered by someone else so much earlier that the OP can said to be (by default) happy with the answer received. This (b) was the case here [later: actually (a) 2 posts were marked by the OP] - I only see these old threads when someone revives them which is why they are locked then and not before. It would be useful if answered threads were locked automatically after say six months to avoid the need for this)

Mike Walsh (Moderator pre-SP 2010 forums)

P.S. If there is new information in the reviving post I generally leave it in place. Here you had proposed your own post which would have required me to remove the proposal and to write some text asking you not to do this again and also there was a serious doubt as to whether the old thread had only been revived so that you could plug your own product. Hence the delete in this case. [Moderation takes me quite enough hours per day without me needing to find e-mail addresses and send personal e-mail to justify my actions.]

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:50 PM Later [] added.
    • Marked as answer by Stuart Pegg Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:56 PM
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. It seems I've assumed the MSDN forums worked in a certain manner, which has caused some of these issues.

With regards to lateness: I assumed the questions and answers were considered resources for people looking for solutions in the future, rather than just for the OP. In this respect my article seemed useful, since the question still ranks highly on Google for searches on this subject. But I understand that resolved questions should be left alone, now.

With regards to proposing my own answer: I assumed that was to determine the difference between general comments (such as "me too!") and possible answers, I'll avoid proposing my own answers in future.

With regards to advertising: It's true that the article plugged our own product, but this was alongside several free and paid alternatives to give balance. Usually this is above and beyond what's expected on many sites; but I can see in the context of the previous problems mentioned even this would be irking.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I had expected there to be some kind of "Delete post with message to poster:" option as exists elsewhere, and/or more moderators, and hence more opportunity for letting people know what action had been taken and why.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Thanks for your generous reponse.

The problem with leaving threads open (i.e. unlocked) to give "more opportunity for letting people know what action had been taken and why" is that about one in a hundred posts added to an already closed thread (=answerd but not yet locked) could be described as that.

In the pre-SP 2010 forums the vast majority of posts are (in a rough order of how often they occur)

- a new question (usually very roughly on the same subject, but often enough something completely different)

- a comment on how things work in SP 2010 (it always amazes me that people seem to have no sense that SP 2010 posts are way off-topic in a pre-SP 2010 thread in a pre-SP 2010 forum)

- a question addressed specifically to the original poster (who in some cases asked his question in 2007 !) asking for more details

- a (pointless) "thank you, that helped me post" (means that the Moderator if he didn't see the thread in 2008 now needs to go and see what's up)

- a new question that was also posted at the same time as a new thread was started with the same question and text (giving parallel threads if one of the two isn't deleted)

The new questions in particular mean that threads become unwieldy (50 or so posts in the thread say) and most of the thread is not about the same thing as described in the Title.

-------------------------

The proposing own products is a different matter. In a current single post where it's applicable and clearly stated (as you did) that you are connected with the product, it's fine. But there are people out there whose every single post is to suggest their own product (usually not stated that it is their own) and these people as well as posting their ads to current threads make a habit of trolling old threads and adding their ads to them too irrespective of how long ago the OP asked for a solution). So I've become extra sensitive to closed threads that are revived and where the post reviving the thread contains a product suggestion.

Mike

Sunday, May 29, 2011 9:03 AM