Help Dead HP EX475 MediaSmart RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm hoping there are some HP MediaSmart Server guys out here.  Here is what happened, my duel P2 Win2000 server started dieing a bit ago.  Lost 2 disks in the raid.  Wanting to simplify, I decided to buy a windows home server in march.

Well, it ran great for about a month.  First I got a message saying both disks had issues.  WHS presented me with a "click this button to repair" option.  I ran the repair and all looked fine.  But then a week later, I noticed a backup hadn't run on one of my desktops.  I went into the basement and the WHS was powered down.  I powered it on, the lights come on but the homeserver is not on the network.  Checking my router logs, it is not even trying to get an IP address.

Luckily, I hadn't moved everything off my old server, whish is still running fine BTW, and was waiting for the file corruption bug to be fixed to fully switch over the new HP media server.  I have lost some backups of old machines I decommissioned but so it goes.

I haven't had time to really get into it to see what is going on but considering the machine is not even trying to get an IP address from my router it appears to be a hardware problem.

I'm hoping there are some HP guys on this forum that can help me out.  I really don't feel like dealing with tech support level one.

Friday, June 13, 2008 7:40 PM

Answers

• While you may not feel like dealing with tech support, they are your best first course of action.

In the meantime, you can remove the drives from your HP one by one, connect them to another machine on your network, and recover the files from your shares. They will be in a hidden folder on each drive: <driveletter>:\DE\Shares.etc.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 8:03 PM