Build windows home server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have the software and a case with places for seven HDDs. What kind of motherboard and CPU do I need? Should I get a server motherboard? Is a powerful CPU necessary or can I use a Core two intel processor. I want to use the home server to back up my five home computers. I have 7 2TB hard drives but they are different brands and some are 7200rpm and some 5400rpm, will they all work together? I also plan to back up on the cloud also. What raid configuration is suggested? I was thinking about raid 5. Will I need a raid controller card and what card is suggested. Thank you.

hayhurst2

Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:46 PM

All replies

• All you need is documented here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/index-admin.aspx

No need for a Server motherboard and depending on whether you want to do video streaming with transcoding a powerful processor is not required. Ideally the motherboard has drivers for Server 2008 R2 but generally 64-bit W7 drivers work (there are some problems with Intel LAN drivers).  I have nothing to advise on RAID as I don't like it or use it. Using drives in RAID on WHS is no different to using them on another Microsoft OS and HBA (generally they should be Enterprise drives all of the same type / manufacturer / speed).

You could look at some of the pooling software that's available for WHS2011 (StableBit and the other (the name escapes me for the moment)) as a RAID alternative. Don't forget RAID is good for data availability but no substitute for off site backup.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:13 PM