The date and time on your home computer and home server differ significantly RRS feed

• Question

• I loaded the WHS software on my server and got on line and updated it to the latest patches (like 78 of them).  I currently has sp2. I then got on one of my home computers and tried to use the Home server connector disk.  . I got an error message
    This computer cannot be added to Windows Home Server.
    The date and time on your home computer and home server differ significantly. This interferes with security certificate functionality. Ensure that the date and time are correct on both computers, and then install connector software again.
    At this point I opened the clock clicked on the internet  Time tab to set the clock to and set the time to time.windows.com ,  clicked update and it came back successfully synchronized. I went to My Home Server and did the same thing.  It was also successfully synchronized.
    I went back to my home computer re-installed the Home Server Connect Program from the Server which had updated to the latest patch, and got the same message.
     I am running XP on my Home Computers
    I also downloaded the troubleshooter and ran the tests no luck
    Where did I do wrong? 
    Can you give me some help. help me
    Thanks

Friday, July 31, 2009 3:00 AM

All replies

• Have you verified that you use the same time zone on both server and client?

Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Friday, July 31, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Yep both of the time zones are Pacific... I saw something about SP1 and this type of problem but it said SP1 fixed this and I have SP2 installed from my massive updates.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:04 PM
  • I also have tried to install the Connect Software on 3 different computers with the exact same results. One being a wireless laptop.
    The date and time on your home computer and home server differ significantly. This interferes with security certificate functionality. Ensure that the date and time are correct on both computers, and then install connector software again.
    Any more ideas..... please
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:09 PM
  • I also have tried to install the Connect Software on 3 different computers with the exact same results. One being a wireless laptop.
    Any more ideas..... please

Although it shouldn't be necessary, did you try rebooting all of your clients and your server?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:20 PM
  • So I have tried to reboot and also reset the clocks on all of the systems including the server. I think that it has to be a problem on the server since all of the Home computers act the same way. I GIVE...
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:07 AM
  • I once had a similar problem and it took me while until I noticed that one system was exactly 1 year off.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Nope both clocks on the server and client at set to the exact same time I just checked and tried to re-install. Good idea though. Interesting though when I double click on the clock to set the time and go to the internet time tab, the time.windows.com time comes back with an error but the time.nist.gov syncs up, could this be a problem? It reacts the same on both computers. And when I click Apply it sits there I have the auromatically synchronize checked, when I re-enter it comes up sync'ed.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 1:30 PM
  • It appears that no one has any idea how to fix this problem. So is there a way for me to re-install WHS on the Server without screwing up my storage that I have already on the server. I have a bunch of stuff stored on the HD's nearly 3T. I am thinking that if I re-install and, not do all of the updates this time maybe the time error will go away. Is there a way? Thank you

Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:16 AM
  • It appears that no one has any idea how to fix this problem. So is there a way for me to re-install WHS on the Server without screwing up my storage that I have already on the server. I have a bunch of stuff stored on the HD's nearly 3T. I am thinking that if I re-install and, not do all of the updates this time maybe the time error will go away. Is there a way? Thank you

Yes.  Server Reinstallation wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data in tact.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Ok before I do that is it possible that my Verizon Fios router has a clock in it and is messing up anything?
    question relating to the answer above. My hard disk data I should have no problem get it back and how will it show up?
    thanks
    I got on to my Router and the clock was 2 minutes different, I reset it, within 1 second and with no luck the same message comes up.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Ok before I do that is it possible that my Verizon Fios router has a clock in it and is messing up anything?

I wouldn't think so.

question relating to the answer above. My hard disk data I should have no problem get it back and how will it show up?

See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details on how to do a Server Reinstallation.  (Even though the title doesn't apply to your situation, the process is the same.)

thanks
    I got on to my Router and the clock was 2 minutes different, I reset it, within 1 second and with no luck the same message comes up.

Sunday, August 9, 2009 3:44 PM
  • I looked at the post and #3 says "When you reach the screen which asks what kind of installation you want to perform, you should have two options: New installation and server reinstallation (or server recovery). Choose server reinstallation. If you don't see both options, do not proceed! New Installation will erase all data on all disks visible to setup!

My choice is ONLY New installation, any idea's ?  I will listen good, bad indifferent. I will also try them as long as I don't have to destroy my data or spend more money buying yet more HD's to back up what I aready have backed up.
    Please help
     thanks
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:36 PM
  • I looked at the post and #3 says "When you reach the screen which asks what kind of installation you want to perform, you should have two options: New installation and server reinstallation (or server recovery). Choose server reinstallation. If you don't see both options, do not proceed! New Installation will erase all data on all disks visible to setup!

My choice is ONLY New installation, any idea's ?  I will listen good, bad indifferent. I will also try them as long as I don't have to destroy my data or spend more money buying yet more HD's to back up what I aready have backed up.
    Please help
     thanks

In order for Server Reinstallation to be an option, usually both of these steps must be true:  1) you must see all of your hard drives in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen (if you don't see all of them, you need to add drivers) and 2) your primary hard drive must be the first hard drive WHS detects.  If you have a mix of PATA and SATA drives, usually the primary drive must be a PATA drive (and be on the first channel).  If all of your drives are SATA drives, chances are the primary drive needs to be plugged into "port 0" on the mobo.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Please post the output of following commands on one of the clients and on the server issued at a command line prompt (you will have to logon locally to the server to do so):
    date /t
    time /t
    w32tm /tz

This allows us to validate, if you didn't overlook any difference.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Server
    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    <C> Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Steeings\Adminstrator>date /t
    Sun 08/16/2009

C:\Documents and Steeings\Adminstrator>time /t
    05:33 PM

C:\Documents and Steeings\Adminstrator>w32tm /tz
    Time Zone: Current:time_Zone_ID_daylilght Bias: 480min <UTC=LocalTime+Bias>
       [Standard Name:"Pacific Standard Time" Bias:0min Date:<:11 D:1 DoW=0>]
       [Daylight Name:"Pacific Daylight Time" Bias:60min Date:<:3 D:2 DoW=0>] 

Client
    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.1.2600]
    <C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Sun 08/16/2009

05:36 PM

Ok this is run from the cmd prompt. What do you think? the only difference I could see is the versions [Version 5.1.2600] Client, and
    [Version 5.2.3790] server.

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Server
    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    <C> Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

Sun 08/16/2009

05:33 PM

Client
    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.1.2600]
    <C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Sun 08/16/2009

05:36 PM

Ok this is run from the cmd prompt. What do you think? the only difference I could see is the versions [Version 5.1.2600] Client, and
    [Version 5.2.3790] server.

The version numbers are normal (5.1.2600 is XP, 5.2.3790 is Server 2003).  The only thing I notices is if you ran the one on the client first (and it took you a few minutes to run the one on your server), then you would be off by more than 5 minutes, which could be a problem.  I assume you synchronized the clocks on both client and server to the same time server (i.e. time.windows.com)?  If so, then it should work, in which case you should probably file a bug report on Connect.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:44 AM
  • I did sync them both on time.nist.gov and they syncs up my server is located downstairs and I took a couple of minute to take a snagit picture of it.
    thanks
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:37 AM
  • So we have to find the reason somewhere else.
    Maybe name resolution? Connector attempts to use DNS for name resolution. So if DNS is misconfigured and attempts to resolve your server name in the Internet and gets a match, that server could be the one with the wrong time.
    Please post the output of
    ipconfig /all
    on one client.
    Olaf
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:35 PM
  • C:\Document and Settings\gail>Ipconfig /all
    Windows IP configuration
      Host Name……..……………….: ender
    Primary Dns Suffix……………….:
    Node Type.…………….:Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled………………:No
    WINS Proxy Enabled………………:No
    DNS Sufifx Search List.......:home
    Ethernet adapter Local Area connection 3:
    Media State……..:Media disconnected
    Description………:WatchGuard Secure Client Adapter
    Physical Address…….:02-00-5A-F3-F6-D2
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
    Media State……..:Media disconnected
    Description………:Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit E
    Ethernet Nic
    Physical Address…………..:00-50-8D-95-4A-2B
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix…………………..:home
    Description………..:Realtek RTL8139 Gamily PCI Fast Ether
    Ethernet Nic
    Physical Address………..:00-48-54-89-7D-14
    Dhcp Enabled…………………..:Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled…………………..:Yes
    IP ipaddress………..:10.10.100.7
    Subnet Mask…………………..:255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway…………………..:10.10.100.1
    DHCP Server…………..:10.10.100.1
    DNS Servers…………..:10.10.100.1
    Lease obtained….: Thursday, August 20, 20095:48:30PM
    Lease Expires…………..:Friday, August 21, 2009 8:48:30 PM
    Is there an easier way to do this besides type it all in? whew.
    thanks
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:15 AM
  • No need to type such stuff: Click the left icon in the title bar of the DOS prompt, select Edit/Mark and mark what you want with the mouse. After hitting Enter you have the marked stuff in clipboard.

What we see, looks ok.
    (The DNS Suffix home is not that good, but since it is not a valid Internet domain address, it should theoretically not been queried to the ISPs DNS.)
    What happens if you ping your server and your clíent by name? Are they resolved properly to the internal IP address?

Olaf
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Results form ping

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gail>ping hegemon

Pinging hegemon.home [10.10.100.4] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.10.100.4: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 10.10.100.4: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 10.10.100.4: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=128
    Reply from 10.10.100.4: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.10.100.4:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Gail>ping ender

Pinging ender [10.10.100.7] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.10.100.7: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.10.100.7:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Gail>

thanks for the tip and help

Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:58 AM
  • Beside the (seems to be at least) small issue, that one machine shows the home suffix, while the other doesn't it looks all ok.

Another idea:
    Is there a security suite (Firewall other than Windows Firewall) on your client, which may block the contact between setup and the server?
    Sometimes these things do crazy stuff (I got one which blocked DHCP and DNS traffic, which made the system as secure as pulling the network cable).

Olaf
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Hi all,

I had a similar problem on a new build on an old machine (HP ML115-G5, was just laying around in the office). The first time round, I noticed the server clock was way off (80ish years into the future for some reason). No matter what I did I could not get the client to install the connector. (I even ran "net time \\server /set" to ensure the clocks were in synch. In the end I did a wipe and rebuild (no data on the system to worry about) and everything now works fine :-)

I would humbly submit that when running a build that you ensure that the server date and time are pretty much correct before you even boot the CD or USB to start the install.

Ta ta. :-)
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:11 PM
  • I have the same problem :( with Windows Home Server + Power Pack 2 or 3.

Has anybody from Microsoft or somebody else fully function sollution?!!!? Reinstalling is not valid solution for me?

Monday, December 14, 2009 1:59 PM