OEM hack become the most popular format of Vista piracy in China RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just can't believe my eyes, in a well-known Chinese Windows forum.

Modified BIOS for almost every single brand/model of motherboard is available to the public. The list was still growing up. These modified  BIOS have been fully tested by "mad scientists" who are on a mission to hack Windows. Although these BIOS are not from motherboard manufacturers, they are quite reliable as reported by many users. Other than that, SLIC module for every well-known brand like HP, Dell, Asus, Samsung, Lenovo etc are available to those who wants to edit their own BIOS. Less experience ended users may choose an easier way  to apply OEM hack by using the latest software BIOS emulator available. The author of the OEM emulator is actually the one who announced the OEM hack to the Chinese public in last Feburary.

For those who don't bother BIOS hacks, a long-running KMS server is 24/7 available. The owner of this server, is a 20 years old lady in Beijing, the server was launched in Nov last year. She was once on a national radio show to talk about her generous contribution to the people of the nation. 

Last weekend I hang around some computer malls in Guangzhou and discover that most DIY builders now have installed OEM hacked Vista to their products.  These perfectly "genunie" Windows can pass all kinds of test by WGA. The thing is, in order to stay in competition, many branded PC also offer lower price models that don't come with Windows perinstalled... salespersons often advise customers to buy their lower price model and guaranteed that customers will get a perfect working Vista that has no difference to genunie Windows at the end.

The majority of Chinese PC users still believe that "Pirated Windows have no difference from expensive genunie Windows and there's no point to waste money on Windows" This is true in XP era and it is still true in Vista.

Nokia handphones in China have a retailed price which is 20% to 40% higher than USA but Chinese cosumers willing to update their handphones every year. It's a fashion if you don't get the most expensive trendy handphone to show off to your friends around. But it's a bit stupid if you buy a genuine Windows and your friends around you probably telling you that their 1 dollar Windows just identical to yours.

There are thousands of handphone outlet in big city ShenZhen alone, compare to less than 5 software outlets selling Windows in ShenZhen.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:53 AM

All replies

• I do think that Microsoft should take serious action to deal with Windows piracy in China. You can't leave it like the days of Windows 98. Windows piracy is only getting worse in China and Chinese hacks are spreading all over the world. 

Chinese PC enthusiasts willing to pay $200 for a top-end Display Card but no way for them to pay for a Windows.  They already get used to pirated Windows for the last 12 years and you can't change it instantly. It seems to me that most people in China support pirated Windows, if you go to a PC shop to buy a branded PC, the salesperson there probably suggest you to use priated Windows. 

Ridiculously, I did see people who purchased Windows pre-installed PC, removed their genunie Windows XP Home and installed a pirated Windows XP Professional with a leaked key. They are innocent since everybody around saying that how good pirated Windows is, compare to original Windows, they just do what others done.

Windows licence should be redesigned in China, say all PCs installed with Simplified Chinese Windows must be activated against Microsoft server and no exception. KMS activation not apply  to Chinese Windows etc. At the same time, reduce the price of Chinese Windows and encourage people to buy original.

Frankly speaking, Microsoft is considered as a big loser in China. Can you imagine a company who run business there for over 12 years only managed to sell 244 copies of retailed Vista in the first 2 weeks?

Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Monday, May 28, 2007 3:24 PM
  • Don't worry. We're working on something.

Thanks,

-phil

Saturday, June 2, 2007 1:01 AM
  • totally agree with OP...

imagine this common scenario in China...

it takes 2 days and numerous phone calls for one customer to find out the ONLY shop in his town that sell original Windows.

on his way to the shop, he drop in a few PC shops and find that every PC is running pirated Vista and work perfectly.

later he can't find out the shop that he wants to buy Vista from. So he  ask for direction in a DIY shop nearby.

Shop people laugh "what? you going there to buy original Windows?", "why don't you just bring your pc to us, we can fix it for you for 100 Yuan (or 8 US bucks) ... and it will be the Ultimate version (OEM hack)" ,

"in case your  motherboard doesn't support our large range of BIOS, you might have to replace your motherboard with ours (second hand motherboard with modified BIOS) for just another 300 Yuan"

The customer then call up his friends for opinions... and what he gets are...

"don't be stupid, i got my ultimate vista for free, someone just do a little BIOS flash and get me a 'legit' vista ultimate !!"

"are you crazy, nobody buy original windows! come to my place i show you my vista that can download anything from microsoft and pass WGA"

OK, the guy now change his mind...
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:39 AM
  • Anthony W. 1970,

"Character can be defined as doing the right thing even when no one is looking."

http://www.charactercounts.org/

Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:38 PM
  •  Anthony W. 1970 wrote:

totally agree with OP...

imagine this common scenario in China...

it takes 2 days and numerous phone calls for one customer to find out the ONLY shop in his town that sell original Windows.

on his way to the shop, he drop in a few PC shops and find that every PC is running pirated Vista and work perfectly.

later he can't find out the shop that he wants to buy Vista from. So he  ask for direction in a DIY shop nearby.

Shop people laugh "what? you going there to buy original Windows?", "why don't you just bring your pc to us, we can fix it for you for 100 Yuan (or 8 US bucks) ... and it will be the Ultimate version (OEM hack)" ,

"in case your  motherboard doesn't support our large range of BIOS, you might have to replace your motherboard with ours (second hand motherboard with modified BIOS) for just another 300 Yuan"

The customer then call up his friends for opinions... and what he gets are...

"don't be stupid, i got my ultimate vista for free, someone just do a little BIOS flash and get me a 'legit' vista ultimate !!"

"are you crazy, nobody buy original windows! come to my place i show you my vista that can download anything from microsoft and pass WGA"

OK, the guy now change his mind...

Don't worry, we're working on something. Smile

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:38 PM