Backing up FROM a different location? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I keep all my music, videos, etc. on an external drive (other than the local C drive).  Is there a way i can configure onecare backup to backup the files on this drive?  instead of backing up the files on my C drive.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 5:05 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, OneCare will only backup from internal drives as the source.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:49 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, OneCare will only backup from internal drives as the source.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:49 PM
  •  

awww, thats too bad.  it seems OneCare is a good product with lots of potential.  i honestly think they should add a little bit more customizable features in their backup function.  at least more control on what you want backed up.  for example choosing any location from any dirve located on your computer.

thanks for the response.

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:23 PM
  • I'd like it if backup worked better all around.  It is quite good if your needs are simple and even better if you normally wouldn't think of backing up at all. If you have more advanced requirements, get a 3rd party backup solution. Or, better still, use multiple backup solutions.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:31 AM
  •  

It is interesting that there are several folks having similar if not the same problem. 

I can get OneCare to back up to an external drive as long as the connection is directly attached to my motherboard.  But that is also how I set it up initially.  I have attempted to re-setup the backup, but I am unable to access that part of the program any longer.  I was using and uninstalled Norton SystemsWorks for this program primarily because I read it did not slow down your computer as much.  That was true, but now I see little difference.  I am also having a problem accessing a printer that is set up as an independent (server like) device and OneSource is not allowing access by one of my three (a laptop) computers. 

It appears that OneCare does not allow you to change your backup setup once established.  That, of course, is unacceptable.  No one from Microsoft has come on with a solution to this thread; that also is not acceptable.  I noticed Costco has the new Norton 360 available for three computers just as OneCare allows setup on three computers.  I suspect that is where I will be shortly.

Anyhow, try to use one of the Firewire or USB connectors at the back of your computer that is not a card but directly attached to your motherboard.

Scrub Jay...

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:18 AM
  • Changing backup settings is harder than it should be:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

For the printer issue, it sounds like a firewall issue in reaching the network printer and may require a port or application to be open/allowed.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:01 PM