UPNP WHS 2011 Media Library update RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I have seen several discussions around this point but no answers.  So I have set up Media Sharing on WHS 2011.  I did this by going to the Dashboard > Server Settings > Media > Customize > turn on, and then I set the folders I would like set in the library.  This worked fine at first connecting to 3 different UPnP media devices.  I have added 2 new videos to the library, but they do not show up on any of the devices Media lists.  I have since connected a brand new 4th device and the new videos are still not there.  I shut down the media sharing, and restarted it several times.  I have restarted the server several times. Because of this, I believe that the Media Sharing portion of WHS creates an Index and that index is what is referenced when a UPnP device connects.

The question that I need to have answered is how do you force an update of this index?

• Moved by Ken Warren Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:04 PM WHS 2011 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:45 PM

All replies

• Indexing is not, as far as I can tell, instantaneous. If you haven't waited very long, just wait a while longer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Sorry I forgot to mention that I did this 4 days ago and I am still waiting on the re-index.  In my attempt to figure this out, about an hour ago, I went into the index options for the desktop search and had it reindex.  The process took about 2 hours for my system, and it still has not changed the UPnP media index.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:46 PM
  • The Desktop Search index file is separate from the media library index file. To force a reindex of the media library, check out the solution in this thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53

Friday, July 1, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Not sure if this will help, but I tried doing a force index as well as many other steps mentioned in numerous threads. I could not get my media library to recognize anything, although the content was in the shared folders. Turns out, I had never run Windows Media Player on my WHS. Once I ran it and pointed the Pictures, Music and Video folders to the correct locations on my server, they showed up on my media library window. Not sure if this will help with everyone, but figured I would mention it here since it wasn't brought up.
    • Proposed as answer by Netguy2746 Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:56 PM
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:55 PM