WHS hangs on backup of Win7 Ultimate machine RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden, WHS has stopped backing up one of my client machines that is running Win7 Ultimate - actually, it starts, get 12% complete then just hangs there).  The only change that I have made is to install two pieces of software on that particlular client - Adobe CS4 Web Premium, and MS OFfice 2007.

I've done a repair on the DB backup, successfully, however the "clean" function also hangs (starts, but does not complete).

Any ideas?

Friday, March 26, 2010 12:03 PM

Answers

• I would recommend you consider wiping your backup database and starting over, then. With cleanup failing, there may be some issue with your database that Repair can't deal with. You'll need to log into your server, then follow the instructions in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief regrading backing up the database, except that you'll just delete all those files rather than copying them somewhere.

Then you'll have to reconfigure backups for all your computers.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by John Skurka Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:13 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:41 PM

All replies

• Have you tried running chkdsk on the server in accordance with this FAQ?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee

--
    Friday, March 26, 2010 12:12 PM
  • I have not - but I will.

I take it this cannot be done through the consol - I have to log in to that machine, correct?

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:28 PM
  • I have not - but I will.

I take it this cannot be done through the consol - I have to log in to that machine, correct?

In order to run it on the server, yes.  However, you said it stopped backing up one of your clients (not all of them).  In that case, I would run chkdsk /r on each volume in your client.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:03 AM
  • I've run chkdsk on both the WHS machine on the client machine that the backup is hanging on (it's a Dell machine, and it hangs on the (RECOVERY) partition) but even after running chkdsk, the backup still hangs.  Now what can I try to resolve this issue?
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Did you look at the results of chkdsk?
    --
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Did you look at the results of chkdsk?
    --

Hmm - I guess not.  I thought CHKDSK was an "automagic" program that seeks and corrects disk errors.
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:54 PM
  • It's a good idea to look at the results to see if they keep on coming up with errors over time.

Kairya said to run a check on the client (as not all backups from other machines were failing) and I said to run it on the server (because your cleanup doesn't complete) - so have you run a chkdsk on both the client and server? 

Tonight is Sunday night - when the backup service automatically cleans the backup database - so maybe give it a try again tomorrow to see that works out or not.

--
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:59 PM
  • Well, I've run CHKDSK on both client and server, no errors have shown, and the client still hangs on the backup.  I have successfully backed up another machine on the WHS.

I've also run the CHKDSK on the (RECOVERY) partition without error, and I've tried removing the (RECOVERY) partition without any luck.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Can you run a manual backup?
    Monday, March 29, 2010 12:13 PM
  • Can you run a manual backup?

No.  The backup hangs both in manual and automatic mode. 
    Monday, March 29, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I would recommend you consider wiping your backup database and starting over, then. With cleanup failing, there may be some issue with your database that Repair can't deal with. You'll need to log into your server, then follow the instructions in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief regrading backing up the database, except that you'll just delete all those files rather than copying them somewhere.

• Marked as answer by John Skurka Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:13 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:41 PM

Can you post a link to the brief?
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Sorry, thought I did. It's available from the Product Support page on the Microsoft site. There's a lot of useful information on that site, BTW. :)
    Monday, March 29, 2010 8:43 PM

Starting over solved the problem.  Looks like anytime there's an issue with backups hanging, we need to start fresh again by wiping all existing backups and starting over.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:15 AM
  • That's why it's important to look at the results of chkdsk so you have an indicator as if there is something wrong with the disks in your server.  You may be interested in WHS BDBB which allows you to keep backups of your backup database.
    --
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:16 PM
  • That's why it's important to look at the results of chkdsk so you have an indicator as if there is something wrong with the disks in your server.  You may be interested in WHS BDBB which allows you to keep backups of your backup database.
    --

Yes - I would be interested.  My WHS has an external HD attached.  Where can I get info on BDBB?
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:02 PM
  • Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:11 PM