Money 2002 - Can't restore backup - forgot password RRS feed

• Question

• I reinstalled Microsoft Money 2002 on my new laptop, which runs Windows 8. I need to access old financial files. I saved a back up and attempted to restore it, but I cannot restore it because it requires a password. I never installed the sunset version, although at one point I did purchase a more recent version of money online, which I installed on an old laptop I no longer own. I no longer have that copy or money and I just want to restore my backup now using 2002. I cannot figure out the password, help please.
    Friday, January 4, 2013 11:33 AM

All replies

• Did you have a password on your file? I think Money 2002 gives a bogus error message about a password if you try to open a file made by a newer version of Money. You may want to install the version of Money listed in the first (sticky) post on this forum appropriate to your country. That would be my first step.

If you have a *.m10 file on your system, that was produced by a version of Money newer than 2002. It is a copy of your Money 2002 file before the conversion to the newer version.

If you did in fact have a password on your Money 2002 file, it may be possible that a password cracker ("password recovery") program would find it for you. I forget when the stronger encryption was put on Money. It may have been 2002, but maybe 2003. I don't remember anybody having posting they were successful with one of those for a newer version of Money.  hleOFXquotes has a password cracker function for free that would work for very short passwords or one where you have partial knowledge of the password.

Friday, January 4, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Sunriise (password cracker) reference:

. GUI front-end: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sunriise/forums/forum/1386861/topic/5315814

. Developer notes: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sunriise/forums/forum/1386861/topic/4621124

Friday, January 4, 2013 7:20 PM