Would my situation qualify me for the genuine advantage offer? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased office professional 2007 on eBay from someone who said they were in Texas. The guy stated it was a genuine retail version, never been opened. It actually was shipped from Hong Kong and is a non-US English Int'l version. I don't doubt that the disc, cert of authenticity, and packaging is genuine. So, I wouldn't consider the software "counterfeited", as it is not a copy. It's just a version that shouldn't have been sold in the US. This is why I believe it's telling me my software is not genuine.

Would this situation still qualify me for the Genuine Advantage offer?

Thank you for the feedback.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hello Kimkaland,

If you are seeing a Non-Genuine message from using that software, then that software is more then likely, non-genuine.  The counterfeits, now days, are very sophisticated (sometimes even made, durig the "3rd shift" in the same factory as the Genuine stuff).

In any case, I think your first course of action is to return the software for a full refund.  If the sell becomes difficult, open a dispute thru eBay or Paypal or, if you paided with a Credit Card, get a charge back thru your CC Company. (do not accept a "new" key from the seller, just get your money back)

Now if it has passed the normal 45 day window for opening a dispute with ebay/paypal and if you didn't pay with a credit card, your last resort would then be submitting the software for the WGA Complimentary copy of Office Offer.  The reason I recommend submitting for the WGA Offer as a last resort is that I can not tell if the forensic company (that we use to check the submitted piracted software) will decide if the software is a 'High Quality counterfeit'. If they don't then your submittion wouldn't qualify for the WGA Complimentary Offer.

Note: as long as your software shows as non-genuine, you would always qualify for the WGA "Purchase Office at a significant discount" Offer.

Hope that helps,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:10 PM