Shared folders, access rights, and folder duplication (combined issue) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Sirs and Madams,

After scouring the Internet for answers I still can't make sense of this one setup issue I'm having...

Let's say I have three different types of video clips (home videos, movies for adults, and movies for kids). Let's also say that I have two different user categories (those that can access everything and those that can access all but the movies for adults). Furthermore, I'd like to duplicate only home videos.

The only method I can think of is to have this setup on my WHS:

Folder 1:
    Name - Home Videos
    Access - Adults, Kids
    Duplication - On

Folder 2:
    Name - Movies for kids
    Access - Adults, Kids
    Duplication - Off

Folder 3:
    Name - Movies for adults
    Access - Adults
    Duplication - Off

So far so good...

My questions:
    A) It seems there is no way to keep these as sub folders within the predfined Videos folder? It looks like access can only be set for the main folders, same with duplication?
    B) Is there a way to rename the predefined Videos folder?
    C) If I keep just one type of video clips in the Videos folder and make two new folders for the others, will Windows Media Center and other media/streaming solutions find the additional folders, assuming the current user has access rights?

I suppose I'm asking how others have solved this because surely this has come up in many homes with an WHS. I have copied over all my kids movies from DVDs and I'm about to do the same for the grown ups' DVDs. We also have many, many, GBs of home video backed up quadruple times... I would love to be able to log in as myself and have access to All three categories on my media center and at the same time not have to worry about our 4yr old girl logging in later and find some R rated action flick.

I would appreciate links to other pages covering this, there has to be some.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:40 PM

Answers

• A) You can create subfolders, but permissions are controlled at the top level only, so all subfolders will have the same permissions as the parent.

B) No.

C) Only the three default folders can be "streamed" using the media streamer built into Windows Home Server. Access to the files through the shares on your server will be restricted by the permissions you set, but if you are streaming to e.g. an Xbox 360 you will have access to everything in the folders being streamed that's in a format the client can understand. This is because streaming uses a generic "user" to determine access. If, on the other hand, you have a server manufactured by an OEM such as HP or Acer, you will need to consult your documentation for more information about how any additional software they may have added works.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Kent Ka Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:52 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:21 PM

All replies

• A) You can create subfolders, but permissions are controlled at the top level only, so all subfolders will have the same permissions as the parent.

B) No.

C) Only the three default folders can be "streamed" using the media streamer built into Windows Home Server. Access to the files through the shares on your server will be restricted by the permissions you set, but if you are streaming to e.g. an Xbox 360 you will have access to everything in the folders being streamed that's in a format the client can understand. This is because streaming uses a generic "user" to determine access. If, on the other hand, you have a server manufactured by an OEM such as HP or Acer, you will need to consult your documentation for more information about how any additional software they may have added works.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Kent Ka Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:52 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Thanks Ken, that is what I feared, I can't use the media streamer then. I suppose I can use a different media manager on the girls' login so that it only has access to the folders I specify. Thanks again for your answer to this and to many other issues I read about where you contributed. Thanks!
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:51 PM