I can't do a backup because of lack of space on my external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to modify the security permissions to allow deletion of one of the backup files (the oldest) created by One Care. But thus far I have been unsuccessful. When I try to do it I get a message that an error has occurred  that prevents this change.

I have also tried to allow full control within the Windows OneCareBackup file to my name as a user. Then when I tried to delete the oldest file within this file it was also prevented.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:21 AM

Answers

• I don't know if your suggestion would work because I gave up trying to fix the problme and reformatted my disk. Of course, now it works fine, but I have no prior backups. If this does happen again, I will try your suggestion.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:12 PM

All replies

• Try making the folder a shared folder and grant permission to everyone to modify it. I don't know if deleting the oldest backup is the way to go though. The oldest backup should be a full backup and all of the others that follow should be incremental.To reclaim the most disc space it may be better to delete all backups then perform a new complete backup.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 1:30 PM
  • I don't know if your suggestion would work because I gave up trying to fix the problme and reformatted my disk. Of course, now it works fine, but I have no prior backups. If this does happen again, I will try your suggestion.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:12 PM