Sync between two SQL Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to sync data between two SQL server databases (SQL server 2005) one is residing in US and another is in India. And the syncronization will be bidirectional. My questions are :

1) Is the Microsoft sync framework is good option for me?

2) If yes Which Provider should I use?

3)What type of communication should I use (WCF or any other like webservice/remoting)?

I am new to Microsoft Sync Framework, so please guid me in the proper direction.

Thanks in advance.

-Ajinath

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:14 AM

Answers

• if you check the code, the client is communicating with the server/remote provider via WCF. the client never  connects to the remote database directly.

in your scenario, you would have the WCF service installed on your remote site.

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:27 PM

All replies

• hi Ajinath,

Yes, Sync Fx may be a good option for you.

I would suggest you go with the peer-to-peer/collaboration providers.

have a look at this sample solution which synchronizes SQL Server over WCF using the peer-to-peer scenario: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=3762

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Hi JuneT,

Thanks for the information. I downloaded the application suggested by you but it seems that the destination sql server should be accessible from the source (location). But in my case the Sql servers will not be accessible to each other. So my question is how the source communicates to the destination?

I hope I dint confused you much.

-Ajinath

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Look into N- tier over WCF (keywords)
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:21 PM
  • if you check the code, the client is communicating with the server/remote provider via WCF. the client never  connects to the remote database directly.

in your scenario, you would have the WCF service installed on your remote site.

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:27 PM