WHS Domain certification problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I set up my domain certificate about 2 years ago and created a new hotmail account to do this (thinking it would be needed for other things) but have not needed it since and have lost the email address I created.

I have accidentally removed my domain certificate whilst trying to figure out which email address I used to set it up as I will be migrating to a new homeserver soon, I can’t get my certificate back.

My domain name is https://downes.homeserver.com.

I need to re-add the certificate but still cannot find the email address I used, please could someone from Microsoft tell me what email address is on file for downes.homeserver.com, I don’t need a password as I will know that already.

I am willing and ready to answer any security questions that are necessary.

Thank you in advance. 

Terry 

Sunday, September 5, 2010 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I set up my domain certificate about 2 years ago and created a new hotmail account to do this (thinking it would be needed for other things) but have not needed it since and have lost the email address I created.

I have accidentally removed my domain certificate whilst trying to figure out which email address I used to set it up as I will be migrating to a new homeserver soon, I can’t get my certificate back.

My domain name is https://downes.homeserver.com.

I need to re-add the certificate but still cannot find the email address I used, please could someone from Microsoft tell me what email address is on file for downes.homeserver.com, I don’t need a password as I will know that already.

I am willing and ready to answer any security questions that are necessary.

Thank you in advance.

Terry 

No one here can assist you.  You need to try contacting someone at Live.  See the last post in this thread and see if you can contact them that way.
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Terry,
    I can not think of a way to retrieve you live id (=email adress).

If you can somehow guess what email address you used for this Live id:
    Start out at http://account.live.com. Based on a may-be email address you can then try to request a password reset using your secret question. Answering the secret question will trigger a response to your (alternate) e-mail addres - and you are set.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hi Kariya,

Thanks for replying, I've been trying to find someone to talk to me for the last two months on this, if you could point me in the direction of someone at live.com I would be more than happy to talk to them.

Thanks again

Terry

Sunday, September 5, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Hi Theo,

Thanks for your advice but I've already tried that, I thought I knew what it would be but I'm afraid not. if you have any other suggestions I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Terry

Sunday, September 5, 2010 11:11 PM
  • If you don't have the email address, and can't guess it, there's pretty much no way to retrieve your vanity URL. It will eventually expire, but that takes quite a while (months, if I remember correctly).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 6, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Terry,
    Trying to refresh your memory (probably not telling you anything you did not know allready): when you created your domain you could have eighter used an existing live id or created a new one for this purpose (maybe without realising you did?).

So if you created a new live id you could have used any one of your existing e-mail adresses or created a new windows live e-mail adress probably using e-mail domain @hotmail.com or @live.com.

As Ken remarked: if you can not remenber the e-mail address there is no way to retrieve your live ID.
    In that case I would let it rest for now to maybe give your emmory some time?

Sorry I can not help you out here.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, September 6, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Thanks Ken, it looks like this is what I'm going to have to do, I'll try to find out how long it times out when not in use, the old certificate said it was valid intil something like 2015 so I may be in for a long wait! lol

Thanks for replying.

Terry

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Hi Theo,

Yes I created a brand new email address specifically to setup my WHS thinking I would use it on a regular basis but since the setup I never needed it again and didnt even try to log in again after that as it just worked.

I'm feeling sick as a dog realising what I've done!, I'll start trying to figure out if the domain name has an unused timeout now.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

Terry

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:44 PM
  • The certificate isn't the issue (if you obtained a new vanity URL you'd get a new certificate), but without the Live ID used to create your vanity URL you'll need to wait for the the old one to expire with Live Domains, which is what will take some time. And there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get it back even then; once it expires, it's back in the pool and someone else can potentially take it before you do.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:49 PM